I try make a copy to my localhost from production store (magento 1.9) and all works great, only products and categories return 404 error.
1. Copy src files from remote ftp to local folder
2. Copy remote mysql db to my local mysql
3. In htaccess change line RewriteBase /myfolder/
4. In db: UPDATE core_config_data
SET VALUE = 'http://localhost/myfolder/'
WHERE path = 'web/unsecure/base_url'
OR path = 'web/secure/base_url';
5. Write in /app/etc/local.xml my local db host, user and password
If I open homepage in http://localhost/myfolder works great
The same for contact page http://localhost/myfolder/fr/contacts
But I get 404 error for each product and category: http://localhost/myfolder/fr/exemple-product-idproduct.html
I forgot some step?
Oh, there can be tons of reason .. from top of the head I can suggest few: cache, indexes, MAGE_RUN_CODE / MAGE_RUN_TYPE environment variables, URL Options, .htaccess issues or any combination of above.