cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server error 500 when trying to backup...

Server error 500 when trying to backup...

I am running 1.5 and hoping to upgrade to 2.0 by the weekend, but i simply cannot do a backup as i keep getting this error.

Followed endless guides online on setting permissions..etc but no joy.

Help?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Server error 500 when trying to backup...

How are you doing the backup? There is no context in your question.

I would suggest doing the backup by using version control and a standard mysqldump of the database.

Also, you shouldn't be upgrading 1.5 to 2.0 on the same server. I mean it is possible if you are running PHP 5.6 (which Magento 1 does not officially support) but if you are going to upgrade to 2.0 then go straight to PHP 7.0.

Word of advice. Before running the Magento migration tool to 2.0, update your site to the latest 1.x package or you are going to have a bad time.

-Kris
4x Certified, Blogger @ xgento.com

Sorry let me explain.

When i log into my magento cpanel and go over to SYSTEM>TOOLS>BACKUPS then hitting 'CREATE BACKUP', I get the dreaded 500 internal server error. Would a MySQL backup be exactly the same thing??.

Not sure what you mean by using version control (n00b warning).

Thanks for the advice about the upgrade, i shall advise the guy doing it for me. Hmm according to my hosting package, i can only choose v5.3 or v5.4 php, is this really a major problem if upgrading to 2.0?. Maybe it is time to jump the godaddy ship and pop along to siteground shared servers.

Does the 500 error occur instantly when you hit the backup button or after some time.?

After probably 2 minutes or so.

Maybe you're running into the PHP execution time limit or memory limit.  You might check to see what that is set too.  I believe it's set in the root .htaccess file.

php_value max_execution_time

# php_value memory_limit 64M
php_value memory_limit 256M
php_value max_execution_time 18000

Sound wrong to you?

Surely a mySQL backup would achieve exactly what i am wanting to do though?

Yeah, I actually disable the Magento Backup module on any website I run and do the backup from ssh as tarball and mysqldump. I have a set of scripts for that. Both are far more reliable and the speed on database backup 45 seconds vs 15 minutes shows that the Magento backup leaves a lot to be desired.

phpMyAdmin and Magento Backup are both prone to timeouts, partial dumps and any other number of corruption annoyances that make their use quite iffy. Plus you don't have the later Magento Backup issue where it totally bolloxes up the file/folder permissions and 500's the whole website.

Thanks for the info guys.

I am also getting this internal error when i am trying to delete 3659 spammy reviews in the cpanel. I have tried deleting just a few at a time and that works. So its timing out with error 500 due to what reason?. I cannot delete just 10 at a time it will take forever. ;(

EDIT:

Changed php_value memory_limit in root and i could delete all reviews at once without any internal error. Have since tried the magento backup again but still get that error. Ah well, i guess i will just stick to the manual mySQL backup.