I've been handed a website to look at which has major speed issues, but seemingly only on the home page.
(I'd like to stress that I have not developed this site personally, I've been handed it by a customer who's p*ssed off with the designer who did create it!)
I've spent some time looking at this; I initially assumed the problems were down to a) a HUGE .js file (1.2MB, 27,000 lines of code) and/or b) A Facebook plugin
I don't think it's the .js file, as other pages load the same file and those other pages load quickly enough.
I took out the FB code and that made no difference either, so I put that back in.
Can anyone see what might be the matter here, please?
Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
The time to first byte response is very slow (almost 40 seconds) which suggest that it's something server side rather than js or css rendering. If you try the site on your dev machine is it still really slow? If so, maybe try debugging through or using a profiler (I like the Magneto Debug toolbar). This will probably give you a better idea where the bottleneck is.
Thanks for your reply. I will give the profiler a go.
This site doesn't have a development site at the moment - the live site is all there is. As I said, I've just been handed it to look into the problems, and I haven't set up a development site yet. That's the next job.
However, it only seems to be the home page which is affected. Surely if it was a server problem then the other pages would be slow to load too?
Thanks also for the pointer about the Debug too, I'll have a look into that.
Yes, my thinking was that it's probably something that is on the homepage that is affecting the initial controller call. The Magneto Debug extension is probably your best bet in trying to track the problem down as it gives you loads of info on what's actually happening behind the scenes. While it's a pretty old extension itself it does work nicely with recent versions of Magento 1 (I use it on CE and EE sites) https://github.com/madalinoprea/magneto-debug
Or you can try some solutions we mentioned on the following links:
Just my 2 cents. This does look like more of a server loading issue. i would double check settings before you start to play with the CSS and JS.
Also please make sure you are keeping your site up to date with those security patches. Go to www.magereport.com to test your site.