cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Descriptions for SEO

Product Descriptions for SEO

Hi I'm considering either removing the Description or Short Description for my products as it generally creates duplicate content, which is frowned upon in SEO terms.

Does anyone know which is best remove from SEO terms or will removing either have a negative effect?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Product Descriptions for SEO

Is there a reason you're entering duplicate content in the short description and the description? Typically the short description is used for a few bullets and the longer one is for a full explanation of the product. 

For SEO, I am not sure if Google cares which is which so long as it is genuine unique and helpful content.

In Magento 2 Description and Short Description are not required so you can ignore these fields while creating new product and if you not want to show short description filed then simple edit the Product Attribute set by go to 
Store > Attribute Set and edit the General Attribute Set and Remove the Short Description from General Tab by Drag and Drop.

Hello @chris_richardson 

Obviously keeping the same content in short description and description will create duplicate content issue for Google which google don't allow.

Short description should be the bullet points or simple summery of the product

Description  should have detailed description, explanation, images for easy explanation, instead of showing benefits you can show why this product section or something.

Creating unique content will help google to understand and user to understand better. After all Google wants best end user experience 

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ professional extensions for M1 & M2 with free lifetime updates!