cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to customise a theme

Unable to customise a theme

Hello, 

I'm an entreprenuer and have a small start up. I have very limited knowledge of tech or programming. 

Now, when I was considering to install magento I asked in this forum that if magento is good for me as I was a bit wary about my lack of knowledge to install and operate a web-store. 

I was rightly advise that I can go ahead. And therefore, successfully installed magento and bought a paid theme to run. www.kindercanteen.com 

But now, when I had to customising my theme I'm facing difficulties. I couldn't understand the documents. I also realise that the support from the theme developer is also over. 

Worried, I rushed to some local magento developers and ironically the fees they quoted was way out of my budget. They charge a standard fees irrespective of the fact that I just want to customise a theme or make an entire new store.

This made me wondering if I'm looking in the wrong direction.

Therefore, I turned upto this forum to please direct me in the right direction and let me know my best alternatives.  

Another developer has suggested me to move away from magento to a php based framework, codeigniter. This option is surprisingly in my budget but I do not wish to move away from magento. Please suggest comment.

I realise a best option for me would be to hire a part time magento freelancer for few hours, may be, and go from there. Please recommend. 

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Unable to customise a theme

@himanshu_bhatnagarWith the limited programming/Tech knowledge I would recommend not to make much changes in Magento code. Make sure whatever you update try first on local or test environment. A small mistake may cause hours.

Try to make as must as update from the CMS/Block of Magento provided by the theme. If you have time available watch videos or read material on how to make updates you are looking for. Once. Still I'll recommend not to make updates by yourself. As an business owner focus on business and let the technical job for developers.

Whoever has suggested you Codeigniter is incorrect recommendation. Shopify could be a good option. However with that also at some point of time you'll be in the similar situation.

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

Hi @Tarandeep Singh 

1. I'm not trying to make any changes in the CODE. I'm suppose to customise the theme through either admin panel or through front end 'active builder'. I'm just trying to add a product change images on home page, for eg, but unable to do so.

2. I have read articles and seen videos. They are more about magento in general, but the document which is specific to the theme is hard for me to understand. Here is the link for that - http://www.magesolution.com/themes/organie/docs2/index.html#enable-homepage-builder

3. Can you recommend me some one, may be a free lancer, who can customise the theme for me. Again, not through coding but through admin panel.

4. I heard shopify is better suited for drop shipping but mine is more of a normal ecommence website. Also, can you highlight the difference between magento and Codeigniter. The developer said Codeigniter will be much faster/lighter than magento and later more customisable than magento. Is it true?

5. If we still go ahead with Codeigniter (since its cheaper, surprisingly) than do I get the same amount of flexibility through admin panil as magento's admin panel?

Thanks. 

@himanshu_bhatnagar 

#1. You should be able to change the product picture from Catalog and not from the Active Builder. You can possibly change the picture of some of the section on the home page.

#2. Just saw the document. I guess it will take some time for you to understand but you must be able to figure that out. Send more specific email to theme provide on what changes you are trying to make.

#3. I would say ask the theme provider for the same.

#4. Not sure where did you get the information that Shopify is better suited for dropship. Magento is eCommerce from work with all the features of an ecommerce. Codeigniter is just a coding framework. Whoever the developer is may have missed that you are looking for an ecommerce solution.

Have a look at Shopify: https://www.shopify.com/

#5. There is no comparison between Codeigniter and Magento.

Please read hear abit about CodeIgniter: https://www.codeigniter.com/

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

Hi @Tarandeep Singh 

Thanks for the quick response. 

The theme providers are not answering my mails probably because my support is over. And now if I stuck anywhere in the documentation I have nobody to help. Also, I just wish that I could focus on my business more and not on these things ;( 

Like for instance, I have uploaded the picture of a product but it somehow doesn't read it and thumbnail appear blank and so on the website. 

Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 4.32.37 AM.png

BTW, Why would you suggest shopify over magento?

Thanks again.