cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade from 1.8.1.0 to 2.0?

Can I upgrade from 1.8.1.0 to 2.0?

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to jump upgrades, therefore upgrade from Magento CE 1.8.1.0 directly to Magento 2.0?

2. Are there any detailed instructions on how to get this done?

I am currently using GoDaddy cPanel Linux Hosting.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can I upgrade from 1.8.1.0 to 2.0?

I upgraded my Magento store to 2.0 version and found it a wise decision. Magento 2.0 adds new features and security. But I can't transfer all data from my store manually so I purchase a tool that works well and now I have a Magento 2.0 site with all of my data. You may try it: https://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/litextension-magento-to-magento-migration-tool.html

The process can't be named "upgrading". It is more like a "data migration". There is an overview of the data migration process http://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.0/migration/bk-migration-guide.html

Data that will be migrated:

1. Store settings
  2. Customers
  3. Catalog
  4. Sales
  5. CMS content
  6. etc.

Data that need to be migrated manually:

1. Media files
  2. Design files (css, js, XML layouts) and Layout updates in database
  3. ACLs (for regular admin users and for web services users)

Data that won't be migrated:

1. 3-rd party extensions data and code
  2. Customizations
  3. Theme templates
Alexander M.
Magento extensions by MageWorx

Hi

I am using site ground hosting and facing issues with upgrading (migrating) magento website from 1.8 to 2.0.

Can anyone please help me with the steps?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

TInku Kumar

Hey, I’d agree with you on that it’s more kind of a migration than upgrade. If upgrading, you’d have to update your store from 1.8 to 1.9 and only then to 2.0. However, due to significant differences of Magento 1.x and 2.x internal structures (second generation was written from scratch) the only way to upgrade is to perform a database migration from store running on 1.x to 2.x, actually.

I used cart2cart only a short time ago to migrate from Shopify to Magento and very happy about the results. They seem to have Magento to Magento migration plugin on Magento Connect too. I’m almost sure it’ll work out as good as my did. https://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/cart2cart-upgrade-service-3-17801.html

Looking forward for your feedback.

When moving your M1 to M2 site, actually it associates with four perspectives - extensions, theme, customization (if any) and data. 

You should check if your extensions/theme providers have M2 version ready. 

For database, it depends on the scope of data you wish to move to M2. Typical data migration will deal with: 

• Websites, Stores, Store views
  • Product Attribute Sets, Product Attribute Groups, Product Attributes
  • Product Categories
  • Products
  • Customer Groups and Customers
  • Sales Data
  • Product Reviews, Rating data
  • Tax rules, Tax Zones and Tax Rates
  • Catalog rules.
  • Email Templates and Newsletter Data

Hope that helps. 

PS. To handle data migration, using migration tool is a good starting point that saves you much of time. We have a handy tool in place to help you on this. See our step-by-step migration video tutorial to see if it is a good fit for you.

--
We have been building for Magento since 2009. See our growing Magento 2 Extensions & Themes collection.

Hi,

It is possible to Migrate website from 1.8.1.0 to 2.0

I am Magento certified Developer.

If you want to migrate then go for latest version 2.1.0 ?

What are the extensions you have having in your website. If its possible please tell me all the names.

Do you have any specific timeline to complete this project?

Best regards,

Adrian Williams