cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I upgrade from version 1.9.1.0 to latest current version 1.9.3.8?

How do I upgrade from version 1.9.1.0 to latest current version 1.9.3.8?

Hi, complete newbie to Magento (for some reason i cannot even say the name of the program in my post which is just crazy, when i try to post it stops me and wants words corrected). did one click control panel install of Magento which installed version 1.9.1.0 on a shared server so I do not have terminal access or super user. so if i just download 1.9.3.8 and ftp up and overwrite current 1.9.1.0 version will this work? or what should i do. I should also mention that my control panel install is brand new so there is no data in the database other than what was installed by the install program. Can anyone help me?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do I upgrade from version 1.9.1.0 to latest current version 1.9.3.8?

Hi @robert_johnson2,

Well, if you don't have another option uploading the files and overriding the existing ones should work (isn't the bright solution but it will work).

If you don't have data into your DB and you don't have 3rd-party modules you will be fine.

What is the "bright" solution then?

Hi @robert_johnson2,

I guess the best recomendation is to use a SCM to handle the code. Git is the natural option.

Also, you should have a dev or test environment to test the code changes first and the deploy the code on your LIVE server.

Using GIT is will be easier and better than uploading code by FTP.

Hello @robert_johnson2,

1. Take a backup of code and database.
  2. If your Magento version is 1.9.0.1 then compare the directories of your Magento app/code/core folder with default magento1.9.0.1 so that we can know the modified or previously customized files.
  3. Similarly, compare frontend/base files etc.,
  4. After the above steps, copy the entire files and folders of default Magento 1.9.x(latest) and paste in magento1.9.0.1
  5. Remove cache and session and run front end.
  6. If the new version has any new database tables it will install or any error occurs simply follow the system.log and exception.log or display errors will show the errors.
  7. Test all front end and admin pages.

Note:- This upgrade will not effect the theme files.

--
If issue is solved, Click "Kudos" & "Accept as Solution"