PHP 5.5 and earlier editions are not supported anymore in terms of security and bug fixes. Has anybody tried to run Magento CE 184.108.40.206 on PHP 5.6?
I think that Magento should issue a patch for PHP regarding Magento 1.x versions, like they did back in 2014 when they issued a patch for making Magento working on PHP 5.4. I understand that they may focus on Magento 2, however the majority of extensions don't support Magento 2, yet.
You may expect a new version or a patch. But not sure about time line , please see the tweet by Piotr Kaminski
Hope this helps you.
As far as I know there was a plan to release a lightweight patch this June to coincide with the deprecation of PHP 5.5. June came and went and so did August. It's almost October now and there's still no update. All I can do is speculate:
a) Magento 2 haven't got enought traction to replace Magento 1 outright. Majority of new stores launched still use Magento 1 and it doesn't change any time soon. There's considerable demand and releasing a trivial patch just doesn't cut it. So instead of releasing 220.127.116.11 Magento decided take a bit more time and release 1.9.3 or perhaps even 1.10.
b) Magento decided to mirror Magento 2 release cycles (once per quarter?) with Magento 1 and we get Magento 1 update with Magento 2.2.
c) They decided not to care. Sooner or later people either switch to Magento 2 or find somebody else to patch their software. The strength and weakness of open source projects.
Meanwhile all major browser makers decided to stop supporting Flash. Unfortunately Magento uses Flash to upload images.
Hi all - the release is now live: https://community.magento.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-Magento-1-x-and-2-x-Releases-Provide-Critica...
I checked the below link, and also the new patch SUPEE-8788 released on 11-Oct:
If I understood correctly, only the new Magento CE 1.9.3 provides support for PHP 5.6, while the patch SUPEE-8788, which is available for older Magento CE 1.x releases than 1.9.3, does not add support for PHP 5.6; it rather fixes security issues on Magento CE releases prior to 1.9.3.
Should we expect a patch for PHP 5.6 regarding the Magento CE releases prior to 1.9.3?
I don't think that the lack of PHP 5.6 support is considered a critical security problem. It's more like a new feature (i.e. upgrade).