cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 1.7.2 update

Magento 1.7.2 update

What are the best procedures to update my magento 1.7.2 CE store to the latest 1.9.2?

Should I run it through shell or download the released files and upload it?

Everytime I tried the second one, the website goes down. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Magento 1.7.2 update

Hello @APModernAngler,
Both are correct ways. You are facing errorn in second method at the time of file updation.
When you complete the file upload to server than first thing you need to do is remove var/cache, var/session and var/log folders and than just reload the home page.

Now, you are done.

If you face any problem than fee free to post your error here.

---
If you've found my answer useful, please give"Kudos" and "Accept as Solution"

@APModernAnglerAs Meetanshi said both are correct approach and you need to clear the cache, session files and folders. However, with the Magento upgrade you need to look into bunch of other updates as well. What I would recommend is below:

1. Perform all these testing and update on a test environment.

2. Take the backup of database and code, incase you had to revert to last working state.

3. Latest release has tons of security fixes and other updates.

a. Make sure you update all of your extensions as well. If you do not then there will be security holes in your Magento.

b. If you are using custom theme then you would have to merge many of the core updates from Magento theme.

Note: If problem is solved then to appreciate the effort, please give kudos and accept one of the answer as solution from all who respond to your question.

Problem Solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept my Answer as Solution.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

Hi @APModernAngler from 1.7.2 until latest 1.9.3.7 version there has been alot of major changes that may affect both your installed modules and theme. Therefor I suggest that you instead of making one huge update try to do this in stages.

If you want the latest version make sure that Your theme support the latest versions and also that all your modules also does. Even if Magento itself is upgraded correctly there is no way of knowing if you are facing a Magento Upgrade related issue or Theme/Module issue until all of them are updated. 

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions