Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Grid issues

Feature Request: Grid issues

Feature request from stasleo, posted on GitHub Feb 29, 2016

I don't like UX of Magento 2 grids.

1) To find some product I need to do the following:

2) Where there is no inline editor in the Product Grid (like in Customers or CMS Pages grid)?

3) Why grids display mass-action dropdown even if nothing selected? I think it would better to display mass-action dropdown in some pop-over in floating position, and only if some items are selected. It would make grid pages cleaner and easier to use.

4) There is no need to display pagination block if there is no need to. For example, if I have <20 items, pagination can be hidden.

5) Bookmarks should be always visible and accessible at just one click.

6) It should also be possible to change the order of bookmarks.

7) Our developers said that new magento grids are complicated to customize. It is difficult to make cell value a link or apply some CSS to a cell.

6 Comments
apiuser

Comment from guz-anton, posted on GitHub Mar 09, 2016

7) Our developers said that new magento grids are complicated to customize. It is difficult to make cell value a link or apply some CSS to a cell.

I can agree that it could be difficult to do some thing with cell. But currently it is possible to do that from one module in other module's Grid. And it is possible to do it in maintainable way.

Lets start with existed knowledge sources:

I hope I've gave your devs a topic for investigation ;-)

apiuser

Comment from antboiko, posted on GitHub Mar 10, 2016

@stasleo

Hi Stanislav, thank you for providing your feedback on grids. Please let me comment every item: For the 1st and 2nd:: Yes, I agree that currently Product Grid lacks some functionality in comparison to CMS Pages grid or Customers grid. This update is acknowledged and it's in our backlog For the 3rd: I mostly agree. Bulk actions dropdown behavior will be revised For the 4th: It makes sense, but it's better to have consistency in this place. So rather that have table controls appear and disappear based on the items per page setting or the result of filters applied (shifting controls side to side), the pagination control are displayed in place in the controls section of the table, but appear disabled when additional pages are not available to 'page to’ For the 5th: I’m not sure I completely understand the request here. I can suppose you mean something like bookmark bar. But this could work not for all cases, especially when user has 10+ saved views (bookmarks) For the 6th: Stanislav, could you please provide some use cases for this one? Do you consider changing the order of bookmarks in a dropdown?

Thanks, Anton.

apiuser

Comment from stasleo, posted on GitHub Apr 20, 2016

@antboiko

For the 5th: Yes, I mean bookmarks bar. Make it responsive. If there is enough space - display them all as a bookmarks bar. If there is not enough space - display all of them in a dropdown list.

For the 6th: Yes. Our extensions have built-in bookmarks for our clients. These bookmarks are used for different use-cases of the grid usage. We expect that some of the bookmarks will be used frequently, some of them are not so frequent. And we want to display bookmarks in order of usage frequency, not in a-z order.

For the 7th: I think that customization of grids should be much easier. It should be a part of your UX guidelines. There should be some clear and easy way to add a link, to change font-weight, color, background color, add an icon or some other custom element. The current UX guideline is far from good usability. I mean that guideline says that actions (e.g. view, edit, delete) should be put in the last column in a dropdown menu. I think that actions and links to linked entities should always visible and availiabe in just one click.

SclLcu
Occasional Contributor

is the 2nd near to released?

Or is better not wait magento release and try a 3rd part extension?

The_Green_Welly
Occasional Contributor
@apiuser wrote:

Feature request from stasleo, posted on GitHub Feb 29, 2016

I don't like UX of Magento 2 grids.

1) To find some product I need to do the following:

I don't think this is a feature request - it should be standard.
It's an input form - it should be expected to submit upon pressing the enter key.

SclLcu
Occasional Contributor

i want all grids to be inline editable!!! WTF only customers grid?

@valdislav please spurs other devs to move asap to do all these features list.