cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50% Off Shipping Rule

50% Off Shipping Rule

We are wanting to offer discounted shipping rates such as "50% OFF Shipping" without using a coupon. So anyone who places an order during the promotion will get the discounted rate on shipping. Is there a way to set this up in the Shopping Cart Price Rules?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: 50% Off Shipping Rule

Yes. When setting up the shopping cart price rule, you'll see a drop-down for "Coupon". Select No Coupon" from the drop-down. This will enable the discount t to apply automatically, without the use of a coupon code.

In the Actions section, toggle Apply to Shipping Amount to "Yes".

In the Apply the rule only to cart items matching the following conditions (leave blank for all items) area, you can set logic that dictates that this will not apply to your products. For example, you could dictate that the discount only apply if the Category is Not one of (your active categories), or if an attribute has a value which none of your products have, or even if the product price is not greater than $0. Depending on the makeup of your product catalog, you could choose how to set this to stop the rule from applying to products.

You can test this with a Percent Discount. 

Best of luck!

@ozcycleThis is not possibly in out of the box Magento. There are plenty of reason for the same. One of the main reason is that before applying the discount shipping needs to be selected, Otherwise rule will not work.

You probably have to search on Magento marketplace or in search engine if there is an extension which can fulfill your requirement.

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

Thanks, that is what we had figured. There is a module you can buy to do
percent discounts with.

I didn't understand why you felt that the solution I suggested wouldn't work... so much so that I went ahead and tested it. Low and behold, my suggestion works exactly as predicted. The user gets 50% off of shipping, without entering any coupon code, and without discounting the products. 

50 percent off shipping rule backend.png50 percent off shipping rule.png

@ozcycle  & @Tarandeep Singh  - Am I misunderstanding something? Does this not meet the specified requirements?

Have a great weekend!

@Robert RandSolution proposed will work as you mentioned. As a merchant I would love to show $5 instead of displaying $10 and then show a discount of $5. In case of multiple shipping option it will again show you the full price and many customer may abundant the cart by looking at the shipping price without selecting as they may not aware that they will get 50% off shipping. Below is an old URL has listed few more findings around it.

https://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/52886/how-can-i-give-discount-on-shipping-costs

Liked the screenshots though. I am sure it's going to help many in near future.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

@Tarandeep Singh That makes sense. Thanks for the feedback!

I suppose that if you're using Flat Rate of Table Rate shipping, you can just set the price, however, if you're using live rates from a vendor like UPS or FedEx, you would have to show the discount (and not only the adjusted subtotal).

Since this inquiry was about a Shopping Cart Price Rule, I didn't think of that as an issue for this user, but I see how it could be an issue for some.

There are other ways to discount shipping rates, such as with @ShipperHQ : https://docs.shipperhq.com/add-surcharge-discount-certain-zone/

We can calculate the discount, that is not the issue. It's how it's
displayed to the customer that causes the confusion. The "shipping" fees
appear in multiple place through out the checkout process and the cart
should display the discount fee, and what the savings are, or the customer
gets confused.

That makes sense @ozcycle .

So does the way it's displayed in the screenshot that I shared on Friday work for you? In my comment from Friday, you'll see an image of the Magento backend, as well as an image of the Magento frontend (Luma theme). The frontend image is of the cart, and include the original shipping cost AND the discount of what they're saving, just as you're describing.

If that's what you're looking for, I think you can go ahead and mark this as "solved".

We were offering a BOGO case sale, plus 50% off shipping. We can calculate the 50% off product, and the 50% off shipping, but both display in the "Discount" line as a total discount. We would need to cart to display the product discount, and the shipping discount separate. You also have to show the shipping discount when you estimate shipping, and on the page of the checkout like the shipping information page, and billing information page. Where ever the product total, and/or the shipping totals are shown you also have to show the discounted prices and the amount you save. Magento just isn't set up to do this.

As soon as this current sale is over we are switching to the Magento 2.1 platform and at that time we will look at either adding a module for this, or making custom modifications to fit our needs.

Thanks for the input.