cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Copy Images for Configurable Product to Simple Products for Magento 2

Automatically Copy Images for Configurable Product to Simple Products for Magento 2

Hello Community, 

Our store has more 2500+ products and 90% of them are Configurable Products and has Simple Products associated with it. 

Product thumbnail images are currently only loaded to Configurable Products and not Simple Products individually. 

Just wondering, if there is an extension or functionality which could help me do it automatically? instead of going inside each simple products to do it which obviously is impossible as it would take too much time. 

Cheers!

Jojo

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Automatically Copy Images for Configurable Product to Simple Products for Magento 2

Hello @Jojo9xx 

The default behavior of Magento 2 is that the simple product associated with the configurable product displays either the thumbnail or other image of the configurable product.

So you don't need to copy the images one by one.

Hope it helps.

Problem solved? Click Kudos and "Accept as Solution".
200+ Magento 2 Extensions for Enhanced Shopping Experience.

Re: Automatically Copy Images for Configurable Product to Simple Products for Magento 2

Hi Sanjay, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I know it does on Frontend, but I need this functionality for the backend. 

The reason is: I am using a module which currently fetches thumbnails from a simple product on the order grid and was thinking if the images from config. products could be copied into the simple product then we should be able to see the product image on the order grid.  
Please see below

Cheers!

Jojothumbnail.png

Hello @Jojo9xx again,

Please customize the order grid in such a way that the simple product fetches the configurable product's image, if not available.

Thanks.

Hi @Sanjay Jethva  

The module is not open source otherwise I would've customized it myself. 
and the module company is charging a ridiculous amount to do it. 

This is the reason I asked the above question in the first place, hoping it could be resolved with a workaround. 

Cheers

Jojo

@Jojo9xx 

Oh I see.

I found a similar solution for Magento 1 if it could help you with some idea:

https://www.magecloud.net/marketplace/extension/automatically-copy-images-for-configurable-product-v...

Hope it helps.

Thanks, Sanjay. 
I am aware of this module but couldn't find any for Magento 2. Hence, moved to Magento Community to get some ideas. 

Appreciate your responses. 

Cheers!

Jojo

Hello,

Is there a way to show only the simple product images on the simple product?  

Thanks,

Chris