cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free shipping for specific Customer Group

Free shipping for specific Customer Group

I have read multiple websites and forum threads and still cannot get this to work as needed...

I want to be able to automatically apply free shipping for customer in a certain customer group (these people will also get 30% off their order).

Note: We also have free shipping for all orders over $50 (this is implemented and working as designed).

I have created the customer group - Group X.

I have added customers to this group.

I have created a cart rule:

- Rule Name: Free Shipping and 30% Discount

- Description: Free shipping and 30% off 

- Websites: Main Website

- Customer Groups: Group X 

- Coupon: No Coupon (I want it automatically applied when they are logged into their account)

- Conditions: BLANK (therefore should apply to all products)

- Actions:

- Apple: Percentage of product discount

- Discount amount: 30

- Apply to shipping amount: Yes

- Discard subsequent rules: No

- If ALL of these conditions are TRUE: Blank

- Free Shipping: For shipment with matching items

When logged in, customers in this group DO get 30% discount automatically applied, so I know the rule is working, sort of!

However, they ONLY get free shipping if their subtotal is greater than 50%.

If the subtotal is less than $50, regular Fedex ground rate is displayed.

i.e. the free shipping piece of the cart rule above does not seem to be working.

Note: we do NOT have Free Shipping set to true (Stores>Configuration>Shipping Methods>Free Shipping).

I tried setting this to true, but then the free shipping option was showing as an option for everyone, not just the members of customer group Group X.

Everything I have read suggests this should work.

The only two things I can think of are:

1. Free shipping not enabled - this is a step in some of the tutorials I read, but when I enable it it shows as an option for all customers. We cannot have it that customers can simply select free shipping at checkout

2. The existing free shipping for orders over $50 is interfering with the new cart rule in some way....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Free shipping for specific Customer Group

@kevin_connolly

After creating a cart rule, run the indexer command.

php bin/magento indexer:reindex

If you find my answer useful, Please click Kudos & Accept as Solution.

Hello @kevin_connolly

I think you should make multiple cart rules. 1st cart rule for the discount of 30% in which no condition should be given as it is to be applied on whole store.. And the second rule for free shipping in which a condition should be provided for if subtotal is less than 50 then free shipping occurs.

Also after this enable free shipping from stores->configuration->sales->shipping Method.

And run reindexing and cache flush commands

I think it would work.

Thanks

If it works for you please accept as solution and Kudo!!

@Surbhiagr - thank you for your response

The problem is that when I enable Free Shipping as you have suggested (stores->configuration->sales->shipping Method) it appears at checkout as an option for EVERYONE. 

i.e. I created the rule, enabled free shipping and then tested the rule as a guest (i.e. not logged in) and the option of Free Shipping was presented to me. I can't give our customers the option to select free shipping else they all will.....

Any ideas?

Note: I DO have Show Method if Not Applicable set to No....

Why if this is set to No is free shipping showing as an option to everyone?

I use FedEx to ship, and have that also enabled.

We have a threshold of $50 for free shipping configured in the FedEx shipping section.

Hello @kevin_connolly,

Let me create an example for you to set free shipping for a specific customer group.

I have created simple shopping cart rule with test and restrict this rule to only retailer customer with free shipping.

Please check below screenshot https://www.screencast.com/t/FAM829PJDw

oDQjR.png

https://www.screencast.com/t/IGj2Cw9DSriX

xPjoG.png

https://www.screencast.com/t/Id5i23oL

aGpQQ.png

https://www.screencast.com/t/zeSihdaSR4EQ

whxeQ.png

https://www.screencast.com/t/6rPlfsanxpb

FwNF6.png

As you can see above screenshot how do I set free shipping method for a specific customer group.

--
If my answer is useful, please Accept as Solution & give Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Could you solve this?

We're stuck at the same point. We could reply this problem in Magento 2.1.9, 2.1.16 and 2.2.6.

When enabled globally no conditions in cart price rules where considered. The only condition that seems to work (also for ALL users) is the "Minimum order amount" in Stores -> Settings -> Configuration -> Sales -> Shipping methods -> Free shipping.

Thanks.