Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze on "Choose Affected Attribute Set"

Freeze on "Choose Affected Attribute Set"

Has anyone encountered this? Searches here and in web don't seem to come up with much.


A configurable product is created and saved with just the basic information. We go back into specify configurable attributes with pricing. There are 7 or 8 attributes, and 195 generated simple products. Upon Save and Close, a choice dialog comes up, "Choose Affected Attributes," with options to update the current, create a new one or update another attribute set from a dropdown. The attribute set for the choice previously made exists, by the way. Upon clicking "Save" in the "Choose Affected Attributes," the page freezes -- no matter which choice is made. Note we also tried creating the product all in one shot, i.e., not saving it at any point prior to this "freeze" point.

Monitoring in top, I don't see any large amount of activity upon the click. The elastic search shows up in top with 37% Mem usage, but very little processor usage. SHOW PROCESSLIST in the database server shows nothing much, querying every few seconds.


None of the attributes selected for the configurables are Required. Price was input, and the generation process seems fine... it's just committing it that seems bad. I've set the php.ini (apache) to a good high number for max_input_variables (75000). Not seeing a thing in the magento exceptions log, though I haven't yet set that to debug. Index had just been freshened.


Obviously, I'm looking for clues here, so if anyone has a thought, I'd appreciate it. Browser issues perhaps? (using Firefox).



Re: Freeze on "Choose Affected Attribute Set"

OK, found a clue... some of the attributes have long names, so the generated SKU names end up being greater than 64 characters.

Re: Freeze on "Choose Affected Attribute Set"

Well, I'm a little further along... can anyone help me interpret this exception:

# tail -n 1 var/log/exception.log
[2020-08-15 22:36:53] main.CRITICAL: {"error":{"root_cause":[{"type":"query_shard_exception","reason":"No mapping found for [position_category_3] in order to sort on","index_uuid":"qDVjeXdpT3eQJrIoFgS0MQ","index":"magento2_product_1_v2"}],"type":"search_phase_execution_exception","reason":"all shards failed","phase":"query","grouped":true,"failed_shards":[{"shard":0,"index":"magento2_product_1_v2","node":"ad3GyetAR4i1t1NWwzG1Bg","reason":{"type":"query_shard_exception","reason":"No mapping found for [position_category_3] in order to sort on","index_uuid":"qDVjeXdpT3eQJrIoFgS0MQ","index":"magento2_product_1_v2"}}]},"status":400} {"exception":"[object] (Elasticsearch\\Common\\Exceptions\\BadRequest400Exception(code: 400): {\"error\":{\"root_cause\":[{\"type\":\"query_shard_exception\",\"reason\":\"No mapping found for [position_category_3] in order to sort on\",\"index_uuid\":\"qDVjeXdpT3eQJrIoFgS0MQ\",\"index\":\"magento2_product_1_v2\"}],\"type\":\"search_phase_execution_exception\",\"reason\":\"all shards failed\",\"phase\":\"query\",\"grouped\":true,\"failed_shards\":[{\"shard\":0,\"index\":\"magento2_product_1_v2\",\"node\":\"ad3GyetAR4i1t1NWwzG1Bg\",\"reason\":{\"type\":\"query_shard_exception\",\"reason\":\"No mapping found for [position_category_3] in order to sort on\",\"index_uuid\":\"qDVjeXdpT3eQJrIoFgS0MQ\",\"index\":\"magento2_product_1_v2\"}}]},\"status\":400} at /var/www/html/store/vendor/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/src/Elasticsearch/Connections/Connection.php:632)"} []

Re: Freeze on "Choose Affected Attribute Set"

I have now severely truncated all the values for the configurable options, so the size limit is no longer a problem. I am arrived at a possible impasse insofar as saving all those options is taking a bit too long. I'm getting the "Invalid Key Form: Please refresh the Page" at the (presumed) end of the process.


Noting a few web posts regarding the nonce key not passing because of size limits (in effect returning me to the origin of the problem), I note that I had raised the max_input_vars to 75000 (confirming it with a phpinfo, also raising it for the cli php.ini. I also made sure to make sure the domain name is set correctly in the admin gui and database for the cookie_domain; (note that I'm using a wildcard cert, but I don't think that should matter). And I did a cache:clean config.


I'm very glad that Magento has ratcheted up the security over the years. But I think this is the second time I've encountered a seemingly impossible admin limitation in 2.4.


Anyone out there with ideas, I'd love to hear from you.