cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling "kits"

Selling "kits"

Hi,

I am just in the process of starting work on the migration of our online shop to an M2 based site. We have a programmer doing all the tricky stuff and I get to do a lot of the more mundane stuff.

Our company makes and sells parts for classic scooters like Vespas and Lambrettas.

We sell a lot of "kits" which comprise all the parts needed to do a particular job - an example of this would be a set of all the screws needed to fix a particular piece of bodywork on. This might be several different screws, washers and nuts. We sell all the parts individually but we want to offer the kit for sale. 

At the moment our point of sale system works out if all the components for a kit are in stock or not and then shows the kit as in stock or not.

I want to start doing this on the M2 site. I've looked at bundled products and it doesn't really do what I need it to do. I don't need the customer to be able to tweak quantities, I just want them to be able to see a product and choose to buy it or not.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Selling "kits"

Bundled products are indeed the most obvious direction to go in for making it easy for shoppers to purchase a bunch of individually stocked/inventoried together. You don't have to allow shoppers to edit quantities of individual simple products within the bundle. You can use the Drop-down or Radio Button option, and set the Default Quantity for a simple product within the bundle to "1" or whatever quantity you're including. Do not check the box that says User Defined. This will stop the shopper from being able to change the quantity of the simple product within the bundle. 

If you do this, you'll have a set kit that includes the exact number of screws and other parts that the shopper needs as part of a specific repair kit.

Long story short, you can make a bundled product inflexible, much like a gift basket that comes with specific items. However, you'll still be able to track the inventory availability of the individual simple products in your store and stop shoppers from purchasing a bundle if items are out of stock.

From a technical perspective, I think this will meet your needs. Depending on your particular store, you may want to touch up how this is displayed on the frontend.

Best of luck!

I've had a bit of a tinker with it and I can't seem to get it all working where you basically buy the bundle or you don't buy the bundle.

I've found an extension that has the kind of functionality I want

https://marketplace.magento.com/aheadworks-module-sbp.html

Nice to see that you found our product useful!

For those who will be reading this post, the Simple Bundle Products is technically a cut-down version of a native bundle product type that removes all configuration options from the frontend, so you can buy the bundle in a single click, pretty much like a simple product. Basically, this is a "take it or leave it" kind of bundle Smiley Happy