cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subcategories disappear in theme menu

SOLVED

Subcategories disappear in theme menu

Hi!

I'm kinda new at Magento. currently I've been helping a friend migrate from M1 to M2. I've now got a working M2-site - but there are some curious bugs. 

In Catalog -> Categories I have my "Default Category". I've got subcategories that are migrated and subcategories created after migration. It appears that any new subcategory does not show any products in the menu - but if you click the "main subcategory" - all the correct products show. Feel free to have a look at my dev-site --> www.dev.daisy.no

Yes - both "Enable Category" and "View in menu" is ON.

I've cleard cache, reindexed, been in and out of developer mode a few times - but the categories are still blank. I've even tried to repair the db. I've tried everything from 0 to 5 in the "Category Top Navigation" depth setting.

An interesting observation is that if I create a subcategory and add nothing to it - no field to the right of the menu pop up. If I do add products or sub-subcategories to it - a blank field apperars (where one would suspect to see the category). Kinda difficult to explain since English is not my native language. 

I've been trough all the google results on anything related to "categories not showing in magento 2" with variations...

Any pointers or ideas would be highly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Subcategories disappear in theme menu

@jogyth just try to disable the theme and then check if it is working fine.

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@jogyth can you do one thing.

Just create a new sub category and add products to it and see it on frontend if it is working fine.

Thanks

I did try that. Thought I mentioned that - sorry. 

I did discover that everyting shows correctly on mobile though - so I guess this is some kind of theme-related issue.

@jogyth just try to disable the theme and then check if it is working fine.

Thanks

Good suggestion. Strangely; when I select a default Magento theme for this store  - it does not activate... Even after changeing to developer mode and flushing cache. I'm still stuck on the "other" theme. 

Wierd. I might be a novice at Magento - but 15 years of Joomla should be at least remotly relevant. Admin -> Content -> Design Configuration  should be the correct path for changing frontend theme's - should it not?

Even though the theme never "disappeard" - the subcategories and everything was just fine when the theme was reactivated. So your advise was still sound! Thanks!

Actually - it turns out this was not a theme-related issue. It was a setting in the megamenu that my (excellent) theme providers changed for me while I was working on the de/re-activation. So it only looked like that was the soloution. But the real issue was me being an idiot.