cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a limit of categories and subcategories used in Magento 2.2.x

Is there a limit of categories and subcategories used in Magento 2.2.x

Hello,

A simple one which returned no results after an extensive search. The results concentrate mainly on the number of products instead and their variations.

1) How many categories and subcategories can Magento 2.2.x handle? 10000? 30000? 40000+?

I am aware of the 6000 sample/test data but would like to know if this is the rough limit of categories a user can upload in Magento 2.2.x?

2) Also, if it can handle 10's of thousands of categories then how can one optimize specifically the performance in terms of having such a high number of categories?

Could someone please let me know as it is critical to find this information and a quick response would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Is there a limit of categories and subcategories used in Magento 2.2.x

Hi, and welcome to Magento.

Yes, I don't think it's going to be easy to find this information. I don't know that I've seen any public stress tests to test the limits of Magento 2. It would be difficult to do because it depends on so many factors. It's hard to test the number of categories alone and what specific problems you might run into with a large number. It also depends on what kind of server you run as a bigger server will often hide those weaknesses Smiley Wink 

If that's a core project risk for you, I would recommend getting Magento 2 installed and writing a script to generate a large number of test categories at the depth that you expect and see how it functions. 

Once you have your setup, the best tool for finding and optimising for weaknesses and customising your setup is probably Blackfire.

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!