cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento v2 painfully slow on Dedicated Server

Magento v2 painfully slow on Dedicated Server

I have no shop yet however during and after installation Magento is very slow? It takes forever to move from one page to another?

I have another store on Magento v1 which is very fast.

I have other websites on the server and have no issues. Its solely Magento 2?

Why is Magento so painful to install and use now compared to v1 despite meeting all the server requirements?

Its pushing people away.
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Magento v2 painfully slow on Dedicated Server

Hello @Kayz 

After fresh Installation Magento 2 speed is decent ..
can you Please check

In your Magento backend, go to System > Tools > Cache Management.

make sure all cache type is enabled .

also Please check your log files inside var/ folders to find if there is any error on website

If my answer is useful Click Kudos and Accept as Solution

Is your server setup and optimized to run Magento 2? 

If your server is managed and your hosting provider is familiar with Magento 2, you may want to have them go through the server configurations for you to identify what can be optimized and improved. 

In my experience, at the risk of oversimplifying it, Magento 2 is even more reliant on caching to perform well. You can learn about some of your Magento 2 caching options in this helpful article: https://variux.com/magento-2-caching-technology/

Regardless, I'd recommend taking a look at the recommendations of @jurshik and @JLHC. Above and beyond that, I'd recommend looking at some speed tests, like GTMetrix, Pingdom, and/or Dareboost in order to see if you have any detectable issues with your Magento instance or hosting setup that you could easily address. 

Best of luck!

Hi all

@JLHC 

My server is not optimised for Magento per se, its a web server running other normal websites.

I am using a dedicated server here are my specs:

Xeon E3-1270v5 CPU
4x3.6GHz 8MB Cache
16GB DDR4 RAM
1TB SATA + 1TB SATA Storage

@shikha1193 

Yes Shika all cache are enabled.

@Robert Rand 

The first thing i ensure is my server has all the basic requirements which it has. Caching enabled yet it's awfully slow despite it using a dedicated server?

Hi Kayz

SATA are the slowest type of drives for read/write. Have you thought about moving to a new dedicated server with SSD?

M2 requires PHP 7 have you checked that the M2 installation is using that. Is it a cPanel server you have, you can use multi PHP manager to change the versions.

Hey,
Before you start changing servers, install a clean Magento 2 on the same server. Make sure it's clean without any third-party themes or extensions. A clean Magento runs well even on smaller servers but even one poorly optimized extension can slow you down big time. Most third party themes are very slow as well. An installation of a clean Magento will show you if the problem is in the slow server or things you did to the store.
Anton Pachkine @ magento2.hosting : Magento Small Business Package.

@Kayz wrote:

Hi all

@JLHC 

My server is not optimised for Magento per se, its a web server running other normal websites.

I am using a dedicated server here are my specs:

Xeon E3-1270v5 CPU
4x3.6GHz 8MB Cache
16GB DDR4 RAM
1TB SATA + 1TB SATA Storage

@shikha1193 

Yes Shika all cache are enabled.

@Robert Rand 

The first thing i ensure is my server has all the basic requirements which it has. Caching enabled yet it's awfully slow despite it using a dedicated server?

You will need to optimize the server specifically for Magento. 

Having a dedicated server plus caching enabled within Magento doesn't mean much when your server is not properly optimized. 

I also agree with @jason_young2 that SATA drives are very slow and are basically outdated nowadays. You should consider using SSD at minimum and make sure you are running on some sort of RAID for redundancy instead of a single drive setup. 

I know this is old topic and maybe he already resolve the slow magento 2

Magento need ssd or better nvme storage  as requirement for storage --- big factor 

Nginx + Varnish (SSL Termination ) as recommend by magento 2 devs.

Mariandb or percona your choose Smiley Happy -- for your database ,, don't just install it and upload your magento 2 , you need to configure this use mysqltuner to help you for your my.cnf settings

Use recommended PHP Version 7.2 or 7.3.

Don't use Cloudflare (Free plan)

Use CDN.. if your store is for worldwide customer if only 1 or 3 specific country then don't use (If you have budget then use it).