cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server for Magento ecommerce store

Server for Magento ecommerce store

Hi folks

I'm Gabrel for UK.

I developed my eCommerce store in Magento and now ready to host. I have one old shared hosting account at MilesWeb. In terms of heavy traffic & other SEO aspects, is the shared server is more enough for an eCommerce store or should I switch to VPS or dedicated server? Or should I upgrade with their Magento hosting package?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Server for Magento ecommerce store

You may not need a VPS or dedicated server as a start but you should definitely consider a Magento optimized hosting provider if your budget permits. 

While most hosting providers nowadays meet the system requirements to install Magento, they aren't able to run it properly and as such you may experience issues like resource (CPU & RAM) limitations and also slow loading speed. 

If cost is a factor, you can give your old host a try since you already have the account but I wouldn't put much hope of it running well. One thing to note is to not share the same hosting account for multiple websites as that is a huge security risk. 

Hi James,

Thanks for your fruitful response.

Currently, the budget is no issue for me. Because I don't want to compromise with security, website loading speed and other technical things. My web host offers AWS cloud-optimised Magento hosting but as you said, I don't have any idea whether these resources (CPU and RAM) are enough or not for an eCommerce store.

Hi Gabrel,

Welcome to Magento.

You do not have to guess if the current or future hosting is enough or not, just test the speed.

We normally use https://www.webpagetest.org/

Very simple - you want all boxes to be green there.

Hosting affects the first parameter there: "First Byte Time" which should be less than 0.5s 

If you expect heavy traffic, use https://loadimpact.com/ - free test there will show you if your server will overload after just 25 concurrent users browsing the store. You'll be surprised how many stores fail this simple test.

Hope this helps.

Anton Pachkine @ magento2.hosting : Magento Small Business Package.