cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varnish configuration

Varnish configuration

I have issue related to Varnish configuration. Seems like server after a while starts to choke and TTFB goes off to roof.

Like everything works fine until we put in memory some number of pages. 

We have 15G RAM on web server (approx 6 in use), for Varnish we reserved 1G.

We got around 15k of pages that needs to be cached. 

Any idea what to do?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Varnish configuration

yes, disable varnish. just use the built in and dont merge js or css ( just use minify)

varnish is not faster.

once you make the changes, run these commands in SSH

php bin/magento cache:flush
php bin/magento cache:disable
php bin/magento setup:upgrade
php bin/magento setup:di:compile
php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy -f
chmod -R 777 var pub
php bin/magento cache:enable
php bin/magento deploy:mode:set production
php bin/magento indexer:reindex
php bin/magento cache:flush
php bin/magento cache:clean

@ivan_golubovic it is very difficult to understand if the problem is varnish or PHP when varnish is on. Can you try running the site without varnish and see if the problem still exists once cache is warmed up?

I have to disagree with @Larry_Ruiz regarding removing varnish forever. Varnish helps massively reduce your server load and TTFB and is even recommended by Magento in production due to being a better full page cache than the built-in one.
https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/config-guide/varnish/config-varnish.html

--
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

I agree. turn it on and refresh everything. then turn it off and do the same from multiple locations.

In my experience, varnish is slower than default.

disclosure: the stores that I work on have no less than 1000 skus and usually 5 size options with 10 color combos all running configurable with image swatches - typically 50 unique images per sku. - varnish is slower in my experience.

its probably also worth considering your hardware limitations play a role in the software and load.