1) I am not aware of less.css therefore my question is can i use pure css in magento 2?
2) Is it ok if i am directly making changes in css which is placed in pub static folder?
Please revert me ASAP.
1) Less is a superset of CSS, so you can use CSS in a Less file.
2) No, pub/static content is autogenerated and you changes will be loss
Thanks for the reply.
Can you guide me in using less css? I have number of queries in handling less files. I have read few posts about handling less but i am still in doubt to use less.
1) I have created a new theme so i how i will handle less files?
2) How to understand less structure?
3) How variables are used in handling different css properties?
4) can i directly add pure css in to less css?
It would be a great help to understand less structure.
In app/design/frontened/Custom/Theme create a directory called Magento_Theme and in Magento_Theme add another directory called layout. In the end, it'll look like app/design/frontend/Custom/Theme/Magento_Theme/layout/. Custom/Theme is whatever you call your theme.
In the layout directory, create a file called default.xml and add this:
<?xml version="1.0"?> <!-- /** * Copyright © 2016 Magento. All rights reserved. * See COPYING.txt for license details. */ --> <page xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="urn:magento:framework:View/Layout/etc/page_configuration.xsd"> <head> <css src="css/custom.css" /> </head> </page>
In your theme root, create two new directories web/css and add custom.css in that folder. The full path is app/design/frontend/Custom/Theme/web/css/custom.css. You can now use the custom.css file to add plain CSS, although I do recommend you eventually learn LESS as it makes managing CSS a lot easier for bigger projects.
Hope that helps!