cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with magento swatches

Struggling with magento swatches

I have a number of products in a category with various colours and sizes.  For each of the colours I have a colour swatch.  Each colour of the product has it's own configurable product, and simple products for each of the sizes.  I have then associated the other colours and sizes of the product with the configurable product.  Therefore a product may have a red product on display but underneath show red, blue and green swatches.  If a client clicks on the blue swatch, for example, a photo of the blue product will be displayed.  

However, a problem occurs if you move the mouse pointer over the new image, since it still display the accessibility image photo name as 'productname-red', even though the blue product is been displayed and each of these images has been suffixed with the colour name.  

So is there a way of updating the image name to match the latest image on display as affected by clicking on the colour swatches.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Struggling with magento swatches

I wasn't able to repeat this with the Luma theme on Magento 2. Which version of Magento are you running? Do you have any themes or extensions installed that customise this functionality from default?

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

Hello Tom,

Firstly many thanks for replying.  I am running Magento vers 1.9.1.0.  The site isn't launched yet but quite close.  It will be upgraded to vers 1.9.3.6 before launch.  Maybe the problem will go away with the upgrade?  But it is a little unusual in that the image is changing when you click on the swatches but it is still using the image title from the original image.

On a similar issue is it possible in the shopping cart to display the simple product title rather than the configured product title?

Many Thanks again

John

As my test was against Magento 2 as this question was posted in the Magento 2 sub-forum. I didn't test your problem on Magento 1. Did you find a way around this in the last few weeks? It's always possible that an upgrade will have fixed it because it does sounds like a bug. 

It's not something that you can do out of the box to show the simple product title. Under the hood magento adds the configured configurable and the simple product to the basket. But the simple product is invisible on the frontend. Instead, on the cart page, the configured options are shown. If that way of showing the configured options isn't good enough, it would probably be possible for a magento developer to find the simple product for a configurable product and use that product title but I'd probably try and use the configured options and style as you'd like them if possible. 

----
If you've found one of my answers useful, please give "Kudos" or "Accept as Solution" as appropriate. Thanks!

Hello Tom,

Many thanks for your replies.  I have already organised a Magento developer to look at the website, including the upgrade, and the issue I raised.  I was originally thinking it might be something that can be solved relatively simply in the back office, but I agree it may be fixed in the upgrade they are doing, or alternatively as a bit extra work.

Kind Regards

John