cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Auto-Login?

Customer Auto-Login?

I sell downloadable and subscription products.  My customers have expressed a lot of frustration trying to retrieve their products and manage their subscriptions because they have to log into their store account in order to get to these items.  Frequently they forget their passwords, and after a few tries get locked out of their accounts, forcing them to call us so we can unlock their account and let them back in. 

Is there any way to provide a unique link to our customers that includes an access token to let them straight into their account on our store? I know there are significant security risks to this, but I'd like to know if it is possible anyway.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Customer Auto-Login?

Hi @KimballMiridia,

Is there any problem with the Forgot password feature?

www.domain.com/customer/account/forgotpassword/

Yes, it is one extra barrier that our customers have to get through.  The less friction we cause our customers the better. 

We sell subscriptions that also have a username password (not the same as the one in the store) and our customers frequently get confused about which one to use.  They wind up locking themselves out of their account (as I mentioned) when using the forgot password feature.

My customer base is not particularly tech-savvy, and it's just about all they can do to manage to click on a link that we email them.  Asking them to keep passwords / logins straight is apparently just too hard. :-(

I'm not sure how to help.

You have content associated to each account, so Magento needs to identify the customer because the subscription is associated with each of them.

So you needs to maintain thatc association but, at the same time, you want to avoid login (in the regular way). In that case Magento can't identify the customer.

Maybe some social login module to allow customers to use their social netoworks profiles?