cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing character limit for database tables in Magento

SOLVED

Increasing character limit for database tables in Magento

Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong location, I am not a regular on here so if I have placed it wrong please accept my apologies.

Just to explain a little about my situation... I have recently upgraded a copy of my site from 2.2.5 to version 2.3. All appeared to work correctly however I have encountered issues with a third party extension for a payment gateway.

The extension developer has informed me that recent changes in 2.3 mean that our prefix is causing the end of the table names to be truncated .

I have tried removing the Prefix but this has caused me a lot of issues, so I would rather avoid this if I can.

The developer also informed me that apparently Magento have recently accepted a proposed change to increase this limit and it would be released at some point in the future.

However, having no idea how long this may take I was wandering if anyone can tell me how this limit can be increased?

Where do I need to go in the Magento code?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Increasing character limit for database tables in Magento

@ACmagI can understand the frustration. They must support as adding prefix is default as well as if they will support they can get a good rating or review which is needed this days for bringing in more business.

Problem solved? Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@ACmagThere is not much information provided by you on the issue. I would recommend to connect with the Extension Developer and they would be able to provide you the proper information to resolve the issue. They can as well provide you with the SQL to update the limit which they say's that fixed or will be fixed in future release.

Taking their help would be good for you as they know where and what exact issue is then someone from outside with limited information helps you in fixing the issues you are having.

- Tarandeep

Hello,

Thank you for the response.

I have been in touch with the extension developer and they will only assist us on this matter if we pay them for additional support. Which is priced up more than the extension cost us in the first place and well outside what we can afford to spend.

The extremely frustrating aspect here is that they sell their extension with a promise of free updates and upgrades for 12 months, we are well within that time-frame and can download the updates but they will not work.

They claim it is because of recent changes to Magento 2.3 that mean our Prefix is truncating the end of their table names, however I have checked their database tables and some of them are VERY long.

At the end of the day their extension is made to integrate with Magento, not the other way around. If recent updates cause an issue would you agree that it should be their responsibility to correct it? Or at least to ensure customers are not left unable to use the updates?

I have messaged them back with these thoughts and told them we may have to seriously consider finding another payment gateway extension.

Sorry for the rant, absolutely not directed at you but I just can't believe how they are treating us. From your experience would this be standard practice to try to charge customers for something like this? When you claim to offer 12 months updates free?

@ACmagThey must be providing some support or help to resolve the issue. What you are telling is generally happens in case of FREE extensions. For paid extension they must be supporting in case of small updates or fixes.

Rule of thumb is before upgrading you must make sure all of your extensions are supporting or not. In current scenario you can look for alternate extension. If that works for you ask for refund from current extension provider as you may be using from someone else.

- Tarandeep

Thanks for the reply again.

Believe it or not but this is actually a paid extension and it was not cheap either.

They have pretty much sold me, not in these exact words that their extension and updates work fine with a basic installation of Magento and that our situation does not happen often enough to justify changing anything. They keep blaming our prefix and the fact Magento made recent changes that have caused the prefix to suddenly become an issue.

So even though we have a basic installation of Magento 2.3, with no other Third Party Extensions at all... they will not help us because we have a prefix on our database. They say we have to pay for their extortionate support service.

They have left us in a situation where we cannot upgrade until Magento implement changes to increase the character restriction.... or we need to source another extension.

Very dissatisfied customer. Anyway it is what it is, thank you for your input, we will have to discuss the matter and decide what we want to do Smiley Sad

@ACmagI can understand the frustration. They must support as adding prefix is default as well as if they will support they can get a good rating or review which is needed this days for bringing in more business.

- Tarandeep