cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is magento good for personal growth as a developer?

Is magento good for personal growth as a developer?

Hi people. I just got offered a position in a company doing Magento development and I am wondering if that would be a good opportunity for me to grow as a developer. Money is a consideration, but not so much. Its more the fact that Magento and PHP are new to me, so I could probably grow as a developer and have more future opportunities to switch jobs if I choose to do so. Perhaps even working fully remotely for good money, which might be a godsend, since I am planning to go to university soon. (Those are all my puny assumptions, besides the university bit).

Is Magento good for learning general software design best practices, integrations and web development? Or does the **bleep**yness of PHP Smiley Happy destroy that assumption?

So far I have some self taught Java/Ruby knowledge and I’ve been doing SalesForce Apex development and DevOps (Continuous Deployment). Apex seems OK, but I hate the the corporate-centric business model, meaning that you employers are always big companies, taking a 70% cut on what is charged to the client. Plus its CRM. Who likes CRM? Another drawback is lack of freelancing opportunities as I would really enjoy the geographic and temporal freedom.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is magento good for personal growth as a developer?

Hi Steve,

I hope you are doing good.

What I have perceived from your view is that you are more towards the system integrations and DevOps area. But answering your first question: Magento platform has a great scope and it will create an opportunity for the developer to work on the latest technologies like PWA and last year Adobe Magento had a workshop (partner with Amazon) for developers.

To create an opportunity for developers to work on visual search with AWS recognition, Amazon Forecast, voice command with Alexa and many more. In short, it's a great idea to jump in and explore new areas.

In short, if you're looking build a career around developing ecommerce then Magento is the great option in terms both ways (Learning and Money) Smiley Wink

I hope, this creates a bit of clarity. In the end, it's your CALL!

Best of luck for future indeavours.

Re: Is magento good for personal growth as a developer?

Hello Steve,

Magento 2 is a good choice for sure. You may learn more about indexing data, payment / shipping stuff, caching pages with M2. I started working with Magento 1 at the university. I majored Business Intelligence and Analytics and later I interned at BankingLb and found a well-paid job in business sector.

Btw,  what uni are you planning to enter?

Cheers, Joseph

Joseph York

Magento: https://u.magento.com/magento-2-study-group theessayservice