cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling a delivery by "driver" role

Scheduling a delivery by "driver" role

I'm new to Magento and haven't written a module, and hoping someone can either provide some guidance or has written something similar.

I need to be able to schedule deliveries in a time window (not days, but hours - perhaps 15 minute windows or so), using "driver" or similar roles of users in the system.

In other words, a user in the system with a designated role, with a role title like "driver" or call it what you will. 

Our "drivers" are contractors who will schedule to be available for whatever hours they wish to schedule. Our customers who submit orders will select an available "driver" to deliver during the window they want delivery from the list available.

I've, of course, easily created the "driver" role on the admin side as I'll also need to be able to control their access and create what reports they can see for payment, etc eventually.

I'll need to be able to have "drivers" schedule their hours, and then have a checkout function that allows the selection of "driver" for delivery.

Does anyone have something like this or some guidance? I didn't see anything available in the Marketplace that fit this bill, or when searching this forum.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Scheduling a delivery by "driver" role

Hello @mike_latzky,

As per requirement, need more customization with admin Role and checkout process.
First of all, there is no relationship for Admin user/Role with frontend checkout system.

So you can go with products concept for checkout processing. And use the any third parties extension for scheduling.
e.g https://www.magedelight.com/delivery-date-magento-2.html

Also some restriction through admin :

Control access to product and categories management

Restrict access to product attributes

then  you can filter the Placed orders in sales/order grid.

Please ref this links for advance Role and privileges.

https://amasty.com/docs/doku.php?id=magento_2:advanced_permissions

Thanks!!
Binod

If my answer is useful, please Accept as Solution & give Kudos

Thanks Binod - I'll review this further and look at madgedelight's product in detail. We're in exploratory phase of our potential business, so it would have been great to see a no-cost product to play with ;--)), but I certainly understand that extension/module providers need to make money - we certainly hope to if we launch our business as well.

I'd also hoped to get a blueprint on how to write a module/extension like this if possible since I expect there will be other customizations that I'll have to make and it would be great tot start into that area of Magento. Not sure if there are any good examples out there in this particular area? Specific to schedules and shipping? I'm not planning to offer any Magento modules in the marketplace - becoming a Magento Marketplace vendor is not in my plans, but developing the modules I need might be a good path for us to have better control of our potential stack, as our future site could become quite large....

Hello @mike_latzky

I appreciate your decision and in this platform every person is available to help you as much as they can. For delivery date module you can take help from https://oyenetwork.com/articles/magento2-devliery-date-module-creation-from-scratch/ this blog.

I hope it will help you. If it help you pleas accept it as solution and give us kudos.

Regards.

Thanks Sarvagya - I'll look this over and "play" with it - this is great! My best way of learning is to take code and work with it. 

The "build vs. buy" decision is always a tough one, but especially when you're newt to a platform/technology, familiarization with both aspects is critical.

I'm grateful to both of you for you help on this!

I appreciate your decision of developing rather than buying. If my previous solution helps you, please accept it as solution. Regards.