cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing & retriving a Customer extension attribute using Magento 2 REST API?

Storing & retriving a Customer extension attribute using Magento 2 REST API?

What I'm trying to do is associating a `my_attribute` extension attribute to any customer.

Plus, I have to use the Magento API. Storing a Customer would be done by calling `POST /V1/customers` and including `my_attribute` into the payload.

Alternatively, by invoking `GET /V1/customers/{id}`, I'd like to include my extension attribute into the request response.

What I already did is creating the 3 following XML files:

TestExtensionAttr2/Example/etc/module.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="urn:magento:framework:Module/etc/module.xsd">
  <module name="Test_Extension_Attr2" setup_version="1.0.0" />
</config>

TestExtensionAttr2/Example/etc/di.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="urn:magento:framework:ObjectManager/etc/config.xsd">
  <type name="Magento\Customer\Api\CustomerRepositoryInterface">
    <plugin name="add_my_attribute" type="TestExtensionAttr2\Example\Plugin\CustomerRepositoryPlugin"/>
  </type>
</config>

TestExtensionAttr2/Example/etc/extension_attributes.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="urn:magento:framework:Api/etc/extension_attributes.xsd">
  <extension_attributes for="Magento\Customer\Api\Data\CustomerInterface">
    <attribute code="my_attribute" type="string" />
  </extension_attributes>
</config>

Then I created the plugin defined in di.xml, adding both afterGet() and afterSave() methods:

TestExtensionAttr2/Example/Plugin/CustomerRepositoryPlugin.php

<?php
namespace TestExtensionAttr2\Example\Plugin;

use Magento\Customer\Api\Data\CustomerExtensionFactory;
use Magento\Customer\Api\Data\CustomerInterface;
use Magento\Customer\Api\CustomerRepositoryInterface;
use Magento\Framework\Exception\NoSuchEntityException;
use Magento\Customer\Api\Data\CustomerExtensionInterface;

class CustomerRepositoryPlugin {
  private $extensionFactory;
  private $customerRepository;

public function __construct(CustomerExtensionFactory $extensionFactory, CustomerRepositoryInterface $customerRepository) {
    $this->extensionFactory = $extensionFactory;
    $this->customerRepository = $customerRepository;
  }

public function afterGet(CustomerRepositoryInterface $subject, CustomerInterface $result) { }

public function afterSave(CustomerRepositoryInterface $subject, CustomerInterface $result) { }
}

After having registered my module properly, I could't make the `afterGet()` and `afterSave()` methods work, despite I tried multiple ways to implement them.

To begin with, I can't retrive the `my_attribute` extension attribute value from the request payload. Is this even possible?

Thank you for your help.