cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At which moment is a order_id created

At which moment is a order_id created

Sometimes orders are almost incremental numbered and sometimes we have gaps like 5, 8, 11, 30 or more, random gaps, there is no pattern in it.

We can't explain why these numbers are missing. 

All numbers correspond with payment provider so thats ok. In our opinion strange things are happening and would like to see what is happening. But we don't we where to look for these missing numbers. 

So the question is, at what moment exactly will the order_incremental_id created ?

I hope somebody can help us.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: At which moment is a order_id created

Hi @eforcepieter,

Basically order_increment_id is reserved when you add any item into the cart. You can check in the "quote" database table.

When you place the order then the same quote is converted into order. You can check "order" table.

For more info:

https://magento.stackexchange.com/a/161625

I hope it will help you.

Hi Vimal,

Yes we saw in the database that in the quote table the order_increment_id is reserved but we see here also really a lot of empty values in the reserved_id and If we look in this table and we compare it to the order table we miss a lot of numbers, i mean we have a lot of gaps like 5 or 10 or 12 doesn't matter how much but there are strange gaps and the numbers in this gaps are not in the quote table.

Is here an explaintain for? Because we see when we have gaps in numbers we have a drop in revenue. Maybe this is coincidence but we don't trust it.

Same issue here - We have gaps of 40-50 orders and random intervals without an explanation

Is there a way to prevent gaps in order numbering and if there is, would it bring some problems?