cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set different order status than "Complete" when "Ship" is Clicked?

How do I set different order status than "Complete" when "Ship" is Clicked?

I have been reading up on order status / states as I need to make a change. My issue is that Magento 2.4.3 sets an order status of "Complete" when I click on the "Ship" button even though no tracking information has been added yet. You can't add tracking info until after "Ship" is clicked because it has to create the shipment to add the tracking to.

This is problematic because we might have several items to fulfill and not all of them ship at the same time. One item might ship immediately while another is Made to Order and might ship next week. If I click "Ship" so that I can assign tracking info to my first item my status / state for that order is set to "Complete" so that now I have no way of keeping track of the unfulfilled item(s) that still needs to ship without manually tracking outside Magento.

So I understand the concept of creating a new Status and how to assign it to a State. There is a lot of documentation on that. What I don't understand is how do I change the default behavior of clicking on "Ship" to use my new status setting instead of going to the "Complete" status / state? What I need is a Status like "Partial Shipment" that will alert me in the orders menu that there is still outstanding items that need to be shipped.