cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento 2 Dont Support WebP?

Magento 2 Dont Support WebP?

Hello Everyone,
I need to upload a webp file to magento 2. But I am getting an error when uploading. I'm adding the error image below. My client is adding a picture in .webp format. Because the picture is animated, its size is high. I converted it to webp format. WebP format for Magento is not possible?  We will use for custom banner blocks. Thanks in advanced!

https://i.stack.imgur.com/1iKJa.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Magento 2 Dont Support WebP?

There is no one in the big magento forum to answer this?

Yes, Magento 2 does not support WebP yet (the latest version now is 2.3.4). But what you can do is to upload regular png or jpg images and then use some tool to convert them to webp on the storefront.

Such a tool will be very useful as I think you already have a lot of JPG product images and do not looks like you would love to convert all them manually to the WebP. 

To convert all images to WebP you can go with a few solutions:

1. Configure your webserver to do this

2. Use Cloudflare Polis service that optimizes images

3. Or simply install some Magento 2 extension that will do this for you. 

I prefer the 3rd way. For our projects we use Magento 2 WebP Images extension and it does all work, e.g. automatically perform converting for all images, correctly display images in browsers that do not support webp.

@emre_onural 

MageComp's Magento 2 WebP Optimized Image Extension is the right solution. The best thing is that it can handle the Low size image upload with the same clarity output on the frontend

You can upload WebP images easily on your Magento 2 store. It improves your website performance.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ professional extensions for M1 & M2 with free lifetime updates!