cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Description using Meta Title

Meta Description using Meta Title

Hello,

We've set our Meta Descriptions, Meta Titles and Meta Keywords many months back for our Category pages with worded content. 

However, I have just opened a page in a browser and clicked View Page Source. When I clicked this it seems that the <meta name="description" content="EXAMPLE CONTENT"/>

is not using what we have specified in the backend of magento.

Instead it is picking up and filling it with the content for the Meta Title.

Please kindly advise.

Magento 2.2.2

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Meta Description using Meta Title

Hi @TIMMY9,

please make sure that you have checked same category page on the front end and admin panel.

Or check store view level entry once in admin for the same category page. May be store level entry are different.

@TIMMY9Just  make sure you are looking at the right place. If you are sure about the thing then possibly you may be using an extension for SEO which is overidding the content. Another possibility is that text is hardcoded in your theme.

Without more information this is what we can recommend.

- Tarandeep
Problem solved?Please give 'Kudos' and accept 'Answer as Solution'.

Actually it seems to be nothing to do with that.

This is related to a certain developers extension: layered navigation.

I will not name them just yet. However I was provided support and they said they fixed it in a new update of the module.

I updated the module via SSH which showed some output after recompiling. They told me that this happens usually if my magento is old and suggested i try it on 2.3??

Initially I found it disgraceful because the extension is advertised as compatible for 2.2.x and our store is on 2.2.x. It works on our store when we downloaded it, and so we should expect the upgrade to be the same.

I have reached out to them and escalated this support ticket and they have reached out to us and willing to look into it for us. 

@TIMMY9Still thinking how a layered navigation extension will break the meta tags. However, glad to see they are helping.

- Tarandeep

Hello,

Actually the module is Aheadworks Layered Navigation and I'm happy to name them, because in the end it they must be commended for solving that issue within 24hrs and released the patch for one file without any charges app/code/Aheadworks/Layerednav/view/frontend/templates/layer/renderer/filter.php 

@Tarandeep Singh there is some backend admin panel that has the setting there for meta data and hence it affects meta tags. Take a look at their extension and you should get an idea.

However whilst they've solved that issue, the issue still exists in SSH out after recompile so I am hopeful they would also resolve this soon for us. This issue was present there also before they applied the patch. It results in recompile not fully being completed:

Fatal error: Class 'PHPUnit\Framework\TestCase' not found in public_html/app/code/Aheadworks/Layerednav/Test/Unit/Model/ApplierTest.php on line 23

I've seen some info on github https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues/11114 

talking about if on php to rename Test_class as TestClass but for php6. It's an old thread.

But we run php7.1 and our live store is already set as that TestClass anyway.

This has again been solved by the Aheadworks team in another 24hours.

Great Developers who have ensured their update is compatible for us without any charge and with minimal delay,

@TIMMY9Loved it. Awesome!

- Tarandeep