cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static Content Deploy error after theme install

Static Content Deploy error after theme install

Hey guys, first time in the board but I'm setting up a webstore and after trying a theme now I can't deploy the static content for the default theme.

The error that it is presenting is:

Compilation from source: /home/xxxxx/public_html/vendor/magento/theme-frontend-blank/web/css/styles-m.less
variable @icon-edit is undefined in file /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/var/view_preprocessed/pub/static/frontend/Magento/luma/en_US/Magento_Checkout/css/source/module/_cart.less in _cart.less on line 254, column 21
252|                     top: 0;
253|                     .lib-icon-font(
254|                     @icon-edit,
255|                     @_icon-font-size: 18px,
256|                     @_icon-font-line-height: 20px,
257|                     @_icon-font-text-hide: true,

I also don't even use en_US but en_GB and pt_PT.

My main concern now is that it won't generate the styles-m.css for the Luma template. The Blank theme is ok with CSS working.

Can please someone give an hand?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Static Content Deploy error after theme install

Hi @marcelo_martins.

I have fixed same type of error earlier.

You can try below solution.

Try once after adding undefined variable in your theme's _variable.less fine and declare there.

I managed to fix the problem, so static content is deployed. I had to add these to _variables.less (from luma theme) or _cart.less file

@icon-edit : true;

I hope it will help you!

Is it a bug of any kind?
Later today I’ll test out if the presented works.

EDIT:

Had to add more variables:

@icon-edit : true;
@icon-download : true;
@icon-private : true;
@icon-star-empty : true;
@copyright__background-color : true;

those were failing and I don't know why.

I've installed a free theme (from template monster) and didn't liked it. after removal those errors... now it's working at least...

Can't get why this happens...

You will need to go to file having issue and replace the variable with true.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use this command to open the file in edit mode.

sudo nano <path of file>

Now use ctrl+w to search "@icon_edit"

Once you get it, replace "@icon_edit" with true.
so the new code should look like.

254|                     true,
256|                     @_icon-font-line-height: 20px,
257|                     @_icon-font-text-hide: true,

Now use Ctrl+O to save the file.
And then Ctrl+E to exit from it.

Sorry to revive this old post but I have this exact error and while there are instructions posted on how to resolve it, I am not sure it is leading me to a good place.

My error is: 

Compilation from source: /var/www/html/mysite/vendor/magento/theme-frontend-blank/web/css/styles-m.less
variable @icon-edit is undefined in file /var/www/html/mysite/var/view_preprocessed/pub/static/frontend/Magento/luma/en_AU/Magento_Checkout/css/source/module/_cart.less in _cart.less on line 254, column 21
254|                     @icon-edit,

I am using the Luma theme and it was all working well in developer mode but when I changed to production mode the css was all messed up. After changing back to developer mode I ran these commands.

php bin/magento setup:upgrade
php bin/magento setup:di:compile
php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy -f
php bin/magento indexer:reindex
php bin/magento c:f
php bin/magento c:c

All of the commands worked without error except the static content deploy which gives the error above.

I have changed the below entries to true as per the advice from @rvermasuit41ad but I am not sure why I am doing this and I feel it is just masking the issue.

I changed the entry in these files for @icon-edit.

vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_Checkout/web/css/source/module/_cart.less
vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_Checkout/web/css/source/module/_minicart.less
vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_GiftMessage/web/css/source/_module.less

@icon-download

vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_Downloadable/web/css/source/_module.less

@icon-private

vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_MultipleWishlist/web/css/source/_module.less

@icon-star-empty

vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_Review/web/css/source/_module.less

@copyright__background-color

vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_Theme/web/css/source/_module.less

Any ideas on what has gone wrong here. Is it possible to redownload/reinstall the default themes again?

Update: I commented out the @icon-edit value in the below 2 files and it is now working again.

vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_Wishlist/web/css/source/_module.less
vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/Magento_Checkout/web/css/source/module/checkout/_shipping.less

I would still be very keen to hear from anyone about why this happened. Or where the @icon-edit value should be declared so I can invetigate further.

Magento version is 2.4.0. Will be performing an upgrade soon.

@retrorag i am glad you were able to get out it.
Even i got into this but wasnt able to get out of it then i understood Magento need these variable but they haven't been assigned anywhere. So i managed this workaround and it working fine from the time i built it Smiley Very Happy.

If it helped you accept it as solution, it can save someone's time Smiley Happy

I have solved this problem. This folder was empty.

vendor/magento/theme-frontend-luma/web

I copied files from a backup into the folder and undid all of the other changes I made and this fixed the problem.

I felt like the above solution was a band aid fix and did not resolve the underlying problem. I was also annoyed because the compare icon no longer displayed.

I'm happy to hear that you were able to find a way out of it.
I, too, fell into this trap and struggled to escape until I realised that Magento relies on some unused variables. So, I figured out this workaround, and it has been functioning perfectly ever since I first constructed it.

If you were able to see it as a solution after reading this, perhaps it will help someone else out there.

Krowd Darden