cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub Category Links Broken

Sub Category Links Broken

When I use the layered navigation links on my category page to go to a sub-category, the link removes a letter from the category name.

For example: my category url is example.com/bathroom
When i click any sub-category link the link turns into example.com/athroom/sinks
(missing b from bathroom is intentional)

Is there any reason for this as it happens on the Luna theme and my custom theme.
There's nothing in the URL rewrites pertaining to this.
I don't want to just use a URL rewrite to fix this as it seem janky.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Sub Category Links Broken

Hello @resurgem12 

Please check the category URL key.

If you have multiple stores then check URL key store-wise also.

I hope it helps.

Problem solved? Click Kudos and "Accept as Solution".
200+ Magento 2 Extensions for Enhanced Shopping Experience.

Hi there!

The URL key in the Search Engine Optimization tab is correct for all the categories and sub categories.

Is there anywhere else that it needs checking? (Its a single store)

The issue you're facing with sub-category links on your category page appears to be related to how the URLs are being generated or processed in your e-commerce platform. While I don't have specific knowledge of your website's backend setup, I can provide some general troubleshooting steps and potential solutions to address this issue:

1. Check URL Rewrites and Redirects: Even though you mentioned that you haven't found anything related to this in URL rewrites, it's worth double-checking your URL rewrite settings and any potential redirects. Ensure that there are no rules that might be altering the URLs incorrectly.

2. Custom Theme Considerations: Since you mentioned that this issue occurs on both the Luna theme and your custom theme, it might be worth looking into any custom modifications you've made to the theme. Sometimes, theme customizations can inadvertently affect URL generation.

3. Check for Extensions or Plugins: If your e-commerce platform uses extensions or plugins to handle layered navigation or URLs, there might be a conflict or issue within one of these components. Try disabling any relevant extensions temporarily to see if the issue persists.

4. URL Configuration: Review your e-commerce platform's settings related to URLs and navigation. There might be settings that are affecting how URLs are generated for sub-categories.

5. Database Integrity: Occasionally, database inconsistencies or corrupted data can lead to URL issues. If possible, consider running database integrity checks or rebuilding URL indexes, if your e-commerce platform provides such tools.

6. Cache and Indexing: Sometimes, caching or indexing issues can cause unexpected behavior. Clear your cache and reindex your website to ensure that you're working with the most up-to-date and accurate data.

7. Debugging Tools: Your e-commerce platform might have debugging tools or logs that can help identify the source of the issue. Check the logs for any error messages related to URL generation or navigation.

8. Platform Updates: If you're not using the latest version of your e-commerce platform, consider updating it. Sometimes, updates include bug fixes that might resolve issues like this.

9. Reach Out for Support: If you've exhausted your own troubleshooting efforts and the issue persists, it might be a good idea to reach out to the support team for your e-commerce platform. They might be able to provide insights specific to your platform's configuration.

It's important to approach this issue systematically, making one change at a time and testing to see if it resolves the problem. Avoid making multiple changes simultaneously, as this can make it difficult to determine the exact cause of the issue if it's resolved.

Remember to always back up your website and data before making any significant changes to your website's configuration.