cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble saving certain data in admin page

Trouble saving certain data in admin page

Hello All,

I am very new to Magento. We are going to roll it out here so I am getting to know it. I have a test system installed and, for the most part, working.

The remaining issues I can't seem to get around are:

1. When in the admin pages on the catalog screen when I do add product I get:

An error has happened during application run. See exception log for details. 

The exception log has this as a result of the Add Product click:

[2019-06-27 17:06:12] main.CRITICAL: Unable to serialize value. Error: Malformed UTF-8 characters, possibly incorrectly encoded {"exception":"[object] (InvalidArgumentException(code: 0): Unable to serialize value. Error: Malformed UTF-8 characters, possibly incorrectly encoded at /var/www/html/magento/vendor/magento/framework/Serialize/Serializer/Json.php:26)"} []

2. When I try to add a customer I get:

Something went wrong while saving the customer.

Nothing in the exception log.

I was able to add a Group and do see that in a DB query:

SELECT * FROM customer_group;

so at least I know that Magento can write to the DB.

I also tried doing a reindex which didn't help.

I am thinking that there are post install steps that I missed? All the web searching I have done has produced nothing helpful.

Any guidance would be great!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Trouble saving certain data in admin page

More information:

I the system.log and when saving a customer this gets dropped in the system.log:

2019-06-27 17:23:29] main.CRITICAL: The specified "/var/www/html/magento/generated/code/Magento/Wishlist/Model/WishlistFactory.php.8279" file couldn't be written. Warning!file_put_contents(/var/www/html/magento/generated/code/Magento/Wishlist/Model/WishlistFactory.php.8279): failed to open stream: Permission denied
Class Magento\Wishlist\Model\WishlistFactory generation error: The requested class did not generate properly, because the 'generated' directory permission is read-only. If --- after running the 'bin/magento setup:di:compile' CLI command when the 'generated' directory permission is set to write --- the requested class did not generate properly, then you must add the generated class object to the signature of the related construct method, only. [] []

The dir perms seem to be in order

drwxrwxr-x  3 root     root     4096 Jun 25 11:45 Model/