cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data migration from Magento 2.2.2 Community edition to Magento 2.3.1

Data migration from Magento 2.2.2 Community edition to Magento 2.3.1

Hi,

My database has crashed in Digital Ocean Droplet where our production Magento 2.2.2 based website was running.

I have backup of database in the form of sql script and it carries the complete data till the last order we received.  I have checked it by importing it in MySql Server at our other hosting server.

There are only about 200 orders till date in our store with their invoice and comments that are provided to user at the time of generating invoice by administrator. These comments are important data as they carry the business significance.

What I want is now is to setup the Magento Opensource afresh with version 2.3.1 and import only order related data and users to new setup. I don't want to choose the recommended update path to upgrade to latest version. I have tried a few times earlier also before my server crashed but it used to fail at some point every time.

Can someone please tell me if this can be done without any third party extension? If yes then how exactly. I have tried to search a lot on google but did not find any help on this particular upgrade path. I believe a lot of people must be interested to know how to do that.

Thanks

Devanshu

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Data migration from Magento 2.2.2 Community edition to Magento 2.3.1

You can try below mentioned steps once.

• Import your sql file in a newly created database.
  • Put a vanilla Magento 2.3 in some directory of your hosting.
  • Run Magento's installer and choose the database where you imported your previous database. Here Magento will add new fields and tables which are extra in 2.3 and other fields and tables should remain as they were in older version of Magento.
  • Once the installer completes, run
    Setup upgrade,di:compile, content deploye
  • Now try going to your Magento backend you should be able to see your previous data and upgraded Magento.

Note: There may be some problems related your custom modules so, try making sure your naked Magento work first after that you can slowly see your custom work.

Thanks Sourabh for those detailed steps. That's really something new for me to know.

Let me try it out today and share result with you.

However, is there any other way also where I can just gather or build only the order, invoice, order comments, invoice comment and user "DATA" in a script and populate it on new database for Magento 2.3.1.

This way I can have an absolutely clean installation of Magento 2.3.1 and at the same time have all required business data and get rid of unwanted extensions also. I can install only 2-3 absolutely necessary third party extensions later.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I am looking for a no cost solution for that.

As far as Lit extensionis considered, so I have used their product for migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 (very initial versions). But for migrating from within Magento 2 initial version to magento 2 latest version, I tried their demo and it gets stuck up.

I contacted them for this and they always kept on insisting for opting data transfer service at additional cost where they would transfer data at their local environment and give it back to me.

Secondly, with their default package, I doubt they transfer users and their passwords also. I suppose they charge additionally for that too.