cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible Mag 2.2.3 Community to 2.2.4, 2.2.9, 2.2.10, 2.3.* - bin/magento permission denied

SOLVED

Impossible Mag 2.2.3 Community to 2.2.4, 2.2.9, 2.2.10, 2.3.* - bin/magento permission denied

Hour 20 of attempting to upgrade via any means from 2.2.3 - the saga continues

Presumably this is due to permissions because everything in Magento seems to be a user/permissions issue. The irony is when the permissions are set as per the magento proper docs -d 775 -f 664 absolutely nothing works. If you make them 755 -d 644 -f the 2.2.3 version goes back to functioning.

I thought that perhaps the permissions needed to be 775, 664 during the CLI composer upgrade process, although i've not tried that yet. Now 2.2 to 2.3 has pages of conflict about symphony something? Not even bothering trying to get to 2.3 as i can't even get to 2.2.4

when i get to the composer upgrade step, it goes through a long list and then dies with bin/magento permission denied

Now this error is on many many topics in this forum. One gives a solution cache-clear then update, that doesn't work. As stated in ALL these open tickets the magento file gets deleted.

In my 20 hours of fighting i've revived my 2.2.3 over and over with a backup, so i can continue to break this as many times as it takes. I'm not sure which log i should look at to get any info on this. so the files are deleted during the update, they never get replaced, update dies, all files are wiped and recovered via my backup, run a cli flush and reindex, upload the .htaccess file and i at least have a working site. Now that authorize.net retired MD5 i can't process orders.

One further I've tried the web updater. That throws a 200 error, which there is a solution to, which gets me to the updater, which regardless of how many times i kick the cron will not finish the process. So i assume that works even less than via CLI

This is going to be the end of the road for Magento this remains as is.

What's the deal with the permissions?

The owner via ls -la both are what they are supposed to be.

I feel i've wasted to much time and effort to give up, but this absolutely is nothing I need to continue to suffer. I've been using this since V1 and it's been hell every time. This can't be this difficult. 

Help me Please!!

dedicated LAMP server with root access

magento community 2.2.3

php 7.1.3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Impossible Mag 2.2.3 Community to 2.2.4, 2.2.9, 2.2.10, 2.3.* - bin/magento permission denied

Hello @projectwebseo 

For Magento related permissions you should follow this

https://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/91870/magento-2-folder-file-permissions

https://magefan.com/blog/bin-magento-permission-denied

I am not sure what is your hosting company but the companies like nexcess, magemojo,  a2hosting, fastcomet who has Magento developers can help till some point with such issues to deal with.

Or You can contact any Magento agency or a certified Magento developer to get help on this, they may help you to upgrade it very smoothly and without much hassle.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Impossible Mag 2.2.3 Community to 2.2.4, 2.2.9, 2.2.10, 2.3.* - bin/magento permission denied

Hello @projectwebseo 

For Magento related permissions you should follow this

https://magento.stackexchange.com/questions/91870/magento-2-folder-file-permissions

https://magefan.com/blog/bin-magento-permission-denied

I am not sure what is your hosting company but the companies like nexcess, magemojo,  a2hosting, fastcomet who has Magento developers can help till some point with such issues to deal with.

Or You can contact any Magento agency or a certified Magento developer to get help on this, they may help you to upgrade it very smoothly and without much hassle.

Was my answer helpful? You can accept it as a solution.
175+ Professional Extensions for M1 & M2
Need a developer?Just visit Contact Us Now