cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEO Magento 1.9 and 2.3

SEO Magento 1.9 and 2.3

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Last month we switched 1 of 2 websites to Magento 2(by ex- and import)

The Seo is completely similar but somehow when we enter the url from the Magento 1 website the Magento 2 website will pop up higher on Google. Could it be that the Magento 2 has a better conversion in terms of Seo? Curious what you guys think about this matter.

Have a great day guys!

Kindest Regards,

Raymond te Vaanholt

2 REPLIES 2

Re: SEO Magento 1.9 and 2.3

That's very interesting to hear. 

Search engines like Google look at so many ranking factors that it's hard to say that it was simply the Migration to Magento 2. There are, after all, migrations that leave sites with poorer rankings.

Overall, a migration is a chance to improve loading speeds, improve the usability of your site on mobile devices, start fresh with cleaner coding, and more. These are all the sorts of things that can give you a leg up on your rankings. 

Without a test of your old site while it was live, and now your new site, I don't think it's possible to definitively say which ranking factors your site definitively improved for, but since your site rankings moved in the direction you were hoping, luckily, you don't really need a post-mortem. 

I'm glad to hear that this worked out for you! From my experience, while it may not be completely because of modernization in Magento 2, when sites start fresh (while keeping some elements, like URLs intact), their SEO often improves - but this also has to do with things that may have been holding them back in their old website iterations.

Best of luck!

Re: SEO Magento 1.9 and 2.3

Hi,

But the old site is still active, we only migrated a lot of items to our new website (so a lot of these products are completely the same (including Seo).

When we enter the URL of a product located in the Magento 1.9 version in the Google search bar, the exact same product (but online on the Magento 2 website)  will pop up on the first position on page one.

I can't find out what the problem seems to be!