cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Magento 2 on Dev server and push to Production sever with Git

Update Magento 2 on Dev server and push to Production sever with Git

Hi,

I am currently running magento 2 on 2 separate server.

One is for Development and one for production.

Both are tracked using the same git repository.

I would like to know if the following steps for upgrading is possible:

1. upgrade my dev server (v2,0,2 to 2,04)

2. push to git repository from dev server

3. pull from repository to production server

is this feasible? any instructions?

do I have to modify the ".gitignore" file so I can track magento core files?

Thanks you.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Update Magento 2 on Dev server and push to Production sever with Git

Fascinating. I do not know the answer to your question but do write back if you find out. What are the advantages of using this method, are you sharing among a dev team? I'm currently writing the 'internal' tech doc RE how to manage the dev and prod server-sides. Hence why I ask.

For what its worth, we only have to manage one server at the moment here - simplicity reasons. We use the cloud so it makes it really dead easy:

1. We clone (snapshot) the production VM, set it on maintenance mode.

2. On that clone, we manually change the mode in /app/env.php to developer mode

3. Carry out the testing/upgrades (on the clone), and if all goes well >

4. We archive the prod server and release the clone as production

Takes 2~3min to do really. No dB xfer needed, or double file systems to manage and it cost nothing really (no bandwidth, nada)

Re: Update Magento 2 on Dev server and push to Production sever with Git

I am running my installation on a delicated server provided by OVH and I don't think there is an option to backup the entire server like a VM.

LAMP server, Magento and all the other related stuff is all new to me.

I use git at the moment because I  think I need to clone magento. I believe that is the only version which allows me to develop my own module in the future.

Please let me know if I am incorrect.

I see git as something similar to Team Foundation Sever used for merging branches and trunk and for deployment.

Again, the concept of git and deployment is new to me as well, but I think it would be useful if one day I am not the only person managing the development of Magento here.

So far I have a dev server sitting on a VM hosted locally. I use git to track the change I do on the VM like when I add an extension to Magento. Once, I have played with it and find it is stable enough I will push to a git repository. Then I will pull the latest push to my production on my OVH dedicated server. Made a first trial last week and it seemed to have worked.

If anyone has some other ideas suggestions, please feel free to share it.