cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating vendor packages

Updating vendor packages

Hello,

I'd like to know if it is necessary to keep all the installed vendor packages up to date.

I always have installed the latest version of Magento CE (at the moment it's 2.2.3).

I run the following command to get a list of all packages which have a newer version available:

composer outdated

This list is pretty long in my case, and it contains stuff like that:

PACKAGE                    VERSION        UPDATE   DESCRIPTION
pdepend/pdepend 2.2.2 -> 2.5.2 Official ve pelago/emogrifier V1.2.0 ->  v2.0.0 Converts CS phpmd/phpmd 2.5.0 ->  2.6.0 PHPMD is a phpunit/php-code-coverage 2.2.4 ->  5.3.0 Library tha phpunit/php-file-iterator 1.3.4 ->  1.4.5 FilterItera phpunit/php-token-stream 1.4.12 ->  2.0.2 Wrapper aro phpunit/phpunit 4.1.0 ->  6.5.7 The PHP Uni

As you can see, some versions are quite behind (e.g. phpunit). I have never explicitely installed these packages, they were just there, probably installed during magento 2 installation more than a year ago.

Now my questions are:

1) Will magento 2 upgrade take care of these when upgrading versions if necessary, and is it ok if packages are not up to date?

2) Or do I have to make sure that alle these packages are up to date?

3) Or should I just leave it as it is, because magento can't handle the newer version yet (never change a running system)?

I am just wondering, if this will lead to performance or security issues.

Thank you for your feedback!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Updating vendor packages

You need to run below command to upgrade your components,

composer update

If you want to install some of the new component which are not available in your current version and some new components are available for your version you can run below command from root,

composer install
If Issue Solved, Click Kudos/Accept As solutions. Get Magento insight from
Magento 2 Blogs/Tutorial