cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Engineering Newsletter, October 29 – November 2, 2018

Adobe Team

Get a quick update on all Community Engineering projects including completed and in-progress stories, features, and testing. Welcome new contributors joining your community projects. Check open requests and good first issues in the project boards.

 

If you missed a meeting or demo, want to contribute, or have questions, check the links to recordings, project boards, and more.

 

Check the Magento Community Engineering Google Calendar for all events:

slack.png Join us on Slack: http://tinyurl.com/engcom-slack 

Looking for a specific channel? Check the gist, search channels, or check the project links below!

 

 

 squash2018.png

SQUASHTOBERFEST – Great contributions!

Wiki | Blog | Twitter | Slack

  • Thank you for your participating in SQUASHTOBERFEST 2018!
  • We have 37 contributors receiving a tshirt!
  • We will contact all participants soon for tshirt sizes and more.

 

2.3.0 Beta News

Release Notes | Quick Start |  DevDocs | User Guides

  • We continue to drive towards GA for 2.3.0. Keep watching for updates!
  • Multi Source Inventory (MSI) beta documentation released in the Admin user guide. See MSI section for details. 
  • Potential GA in November 2018, see Magento 2.3 availability.

 

MSI

Project Board | GitHub | Slack

Magento Coordinator: Igor Minialilo

Work this week:

  • MSI is officially a part of the RC package for 2.3.0! Huge props to the team, our community contributors, and specifically the great Igor Miniailo for making it happen!
  • Added a modification to the Stock grid and Product grid showing only 5 assigned with a hover-over tooltip to see the full list of assigned sources. This change helps companies with large numbers of locations/sources easily browse through those pages. By Stepan Furman: #1868.
  • Added README information for MSI modules. DevDocs will review the PR. By Vadim Justus, #1871.
  • MSI has a distance-based Source Select Algorithm in-progress using Google APIs (Latitude/Longitude, configurations) or offline distance calculation. Fantastic new feature which unfortunately won’t make it into 2.3.0 but expect to see very soon. By Riccardo Tempesta (TheRick), #1866.
  • Added Performance updates and fixes. By Lars Roettig, #1869.
  • Released MSI content in the Magento Admin User Guides for Open Source, Commerce, and B2B for 2.3, by Lori Krell. The current wiki user guide will continue as the in-development user guide, tracking the latest PRs and work completed by contributors.
  • Tom Erskine of Magento is joining to help with MFTF. MFTF will now automatically rerun tests that fail as part of Magento’s CICD system. This change will affect PR’s to MSI as they run in our automated testing builds. Also see the MFTF section below.
    RECOMMENDED READING:

Meetings:

Meeting recordings:

 

GraphQL

Project Board | GitHub | Slack

Magento Coordinator: Valeriy Nayda

Current PRs status:

PRs Special Achievements status:

Meeting recordings:

 

PWA Studio

Project Board | GitHub | Slack

Magento Coordinator:  Eric Erway and James Zetlen

  • Sprint 28continued progress on payments MVP, routing, navigation and search along with related UX/documentation
  • Community grooming complete with addition of stories for docs (#437, #436, #438)  and improvements to shopper experience (#363 and #375)
  • PRs in progress for Purchase History and order details (#439
  • Reviewed community contribution for pagination (#424) by Cooper (@serunde) 
  • New API documentation in ReDocly API browser, to demo on Monday
  • Coding efficiency up 10% per @Gitential(week/week)
  • Bargreen Ellingsen has many updates to see! The following image details updates on Offline Mode. They also have a live site to preview here: https://upward.bargreen.io/ 

    pwa-offline_mode-11-2.gif

Meetings:

Meeting recordings:

 

Import/Export

Project Board | GitHub | Slack

Magento Coordinator:  David Manners

New PRs:

Merged PRs: 

Open Questions on Architecture and with Piotr:

  • Will we merge this project with the async import?
    Still waiting to hear back from the architecture team as to what the long-term plan is with these two projects. If the end result is that the Async import is to replace the normal import, then I would suggest merging projects would be a good idea here. If not then I would consider getting together with PO and Architecture to talk about what we can do with Import to gather new contributors, improve the system and make sure people are enjoying contribution.
  • Update so skip errors is “working”: #130
    We noticed a couple of things here, firstly the check was not working if you had the exact same amount of errors as you allow, but also the check was checking non-critical errors. During testing we thought it might be ok to check all errors and not just non-critical errors. If a row has a critical error but the others are fine should we not skip these if the user has selected skip errors?
  • Replace functionality: #89
    For me this is a documentation problem and not a code issue. Replace is removing the old products and making new products. I would suggest that we could rename this on the user point, update the form information to tell the user what each version does and maybe update the user documents if they are not clear enough. Does this make sense, or should we rework how replace works?
  • Sending welcome email on import: #85
    Currently the import never sends customer emails. It would be “easy” to add this in but the email sending needs to get the whole customer object as the admin could replace the template with any customer data. This could cause performance issues loading all new customer objects to send emails. Do we have an alternative option from an architecture point of view? Should we create some form of queue here? If so, what is the best way to proceed here to make sure our changes match the architectural team’s guidelines.
  • Different scope level updates: Discussion on #40
    I would suggest that this comment would cover all the cases we found. What would you suggest is the best way forward with this ticket?

 

MFTF

Project Board | GitHub | Slack | DevDocs

Tom Erskine of Magento is working with Community Engineering teams to help understand and work with MFTF to generate and run tests for your projects. He is starting with the MSI project.

 

Important info from Tom on MFTF!

  • MFTF will now automatically rerun tests that fail as part of Magento’s CICD system. This change will affect PR’s to MSI as they run in our automated testing builds.
  • The goal is to identify early potentially flaky tests and/or tests with unintended dependencies to provide faster feedback. This will also allow for potentially fewer required builds as we no longer need to rerun full builds for individual failing tests (in some cases).
  • If you wish to use the rerun functionality locally, use:
    $ bin/mftf run:failed
  • This command reads the_output/failed file and regenerates tests/suites based on file contents
  • Also - for local development and running MFTF tests, we’ve identified a useful performance increase to test run times. Essentially, there is significant overhead in using our AllureAdapter. Disabling it will make tests run faster, at the expense of no longer having local Allure reporting.
  • Read the MFTF DevDocs! You’ll find incredible information to get started with testing.

 

Localization and Translations

Slack | Japanese GitHub | Magento CrowdIn | Google Doc

Magento Coordinator: Volodymyr Kublytskiy, Piotr Kaminski

  • Community and Magento met to discuss processes and options for translations, CrowdIn, official language packs, and more. Additional updates for the project, processes, and official guidelines will be announced at a later time.
  • Lori will update DevDocs to remove Github installation instructions and update with CrowdIn and processes. 
  • DevDocs are in the Translations Slack to help with context of UI strings if needed.

  

Magento 2

Project Board | GitHub| Slack

  • 58Pull Requests merged to the core
  • 102Pull Requests created
  • 34new issues created
  • 75closed issues 

 

Magento Architecture

Project Board | GitHub | Slack

  • Merged: Add redeem method to the Gift card API: #34
  • Proposed: Preposition for isolating Test Environment configuration, #38
  • Proposed: dependency generation tool, #39
  • Proposed: Asynchronous import module – first draft, #40
  • Typo: constroller to controller, #41
  • Agenda in progress for November 14, 2018 meeting
  • NOTE: Please `rebase` when updating from https://github.com/magento/architecture. Make sure you don’t have `proposals` folder. It should no longer be in the repo. If you have questions, please ask in Slack. Thanks!

 Meetings:

 

DevDocs

Site | Slack | Github

1 Comment
Adobe Team

community-eng.pngCommunity Livestream: MSI

Interested in seeing MSI in action? The monthly Community Livestream features MSI with incredible insights and more!

DATE/TIME: November 16, 2018 - Noon CST / 7pm CET

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naMfm4vRRjk

 

We'll have info for merchants interested in MSI, contributors, partners, and extension developers. 

 

The presenters include:

  • Bartek Szymański (@bartek_szy) from Strix presenting the 1st Magento 2.3 + MSI project: https://touspolska.pl/
  • Riccardo Tempesta (@RicTempesta)(AKA TheRick) from MageSpecialist talking about technical challenges and architecture
  • Vadim Justus (@_justus) from Tech Division discussing B2B + MSI
  • Amasty (@AmastyTeam) sharing their experience writing the Advance MSI extension and much more
  • Lori Krell (@LoriAKrell) walking through DevDocs and User Guides
  • Mark Brinton (@markabrinton) discussing the future of MSI, Milestone 3 and beyond
  • We may have additional info on Magento Order Management + MSI
  • And more! 

I'll post updates on the line-up of presenters as they are added.