cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career Advice

Career Advice

Hi everyone, I'd like some advice from anyone who has been in the Magento community for multiple years.  I am concerned my stint with Magento is nearing an end after 6.5 years.  I am struggling to acquire and maintain long-term relationships with solution providers as a telecommuter and I believe I'm being forced to move to another city to obtain it.  I am concerned the market is shifting away from long-distance domestic partnerships and towards local partnerships.  I am trying to prevent myself from becoming a drifter, I'd rather stay in my home city, even if it means a new career path.  Is anyone else feeling this type of strain?  What would you do if you were me?  I can provide more info if you need.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Career Advice

I find the situation the opposite actually.

Since 1.9.1 Magento has become more popular & as a freelance developer I have found an increase of clients contacting me requiring migration from other platforms.

Provide good service during the migration and you have a customer for life.

Most of my clients are in America - I am from the UK. Yeah the time zone difference is a bit of a killer for my social life, but it works.

Freelance Web Developer - Graphic Designer - SEO Analyst
Conor Rhys Tomkins