cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magento to Bigcommerce or Shopify?

Magento to Bigcommerce or Shopify?

Hi guys,

I'm fed up of Magento. I'm currently using Magento 2.3.0. I am fed up of its cost which includes expenses of Cloud Hosting, extensions and to top it off "Developer's costing". Then again, whenever we install any new extension then we don't know where it will cause the issue then for this, hire Magento developer and then again expenses.

So to overcome all these expenses, do you think migrating from Magento to either the BigCommerce or Shopify is a good idea?

If yes, then which is more feature-rich between the BigCommerce and Shopify?

An early reply is requested.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Magento to Bigcommerce or Shopify?

Hi Abhishek,

As a member of the Magento community at large, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences and frustrations. Magento is a very robust and flexible platform. That openness does come with challenges and expenses. Depending on your budgets and resources, it may very well not be the best fit. In order to be successful with a Magento site, you really need seasoned Magento developers and a fantastic Magento host. I will say that I know many, including teams at a variety of price points. I'd be happy to chat with you, learn more about your needs, and make any introductions that would make sense.

BigCommerce and Shopify each have their pros and cons. I've worked with sites on both platforms, and have managed partnerships with both. A lot of it depends on your business and the features that you'll need. If you're a small business with small eCommerce revenue, and you're selling basic retail products without a lot of Magento extensions or custom coding to your Magento site, one of these may be able to comfortably and more cost-effectively meet your needs. In essence, these platforms were created to offer a prefabricated solution to quickly launch and simply maintain a more standard site. 

I could write a lot more about these individual platforms and how they stack up against each other (and Magento), but the reality is that your choice of platform should start with a proper assessment of your business including features and functionalities that you require, current sales, anticipated growth, and other various info. These are all viable eCommerce platforms used by many thousands of businesses, so the discussion should be about which platform will better meet your specific needs and goals, not which is generally better.

If you want a good assessment, you'd be best off chatting with an agency that works on Magento and at least one of these SaaS platforms. A lot of folks in the industry have opinions on which platform is better, but you'll get the most accurate info from a team that has first-hand experiences to share. I do specifically know some agencies that work on multiple platforms like these and would be open to chatting to learn about your budgets and other concerns in order to figure out which might be the best fit for you.

Hi @AbhishekHFN 

Shopify and BigCommerce are among the biggest hosted shopping carts in the eCommerce market today, which are used by thousands of businesses. Both of them have their own highlights and some of their characteristics are better suited for specific scenarios and types of users. You can refer to some key points of these two platforms:

Sales Features

Both offer necessary features as standard including Multichannel Selling, Abandoned Cart Recovery, SSL Certificate and powerful Inventory Management. Notably, while Shopify charges up to 2% of sales for using a third-party payment gateway, BigCommerce lets you use any solution without transaction fees. 

Shopify has a powerful app store with a variety of advanced tools and high level of customization, however, these plugins are not included in your monthly plan. Meanwhile, BigCommerce also has the most advanced built-in features of an eCommerce platform, which has already provided you everything you need without reliance on third-party applications.

Great attention should also be paid to Shopify's limited support for options and variants. Currently, this platform only supports up to three drop-down menu options per product with a maximum of 100 possible combinations/variants in comparison with 600 variants from BigCommerce. 

Design

Both Shopify and BigCommerce offer a large number of free and premium themes which are categorized into industries and styles. However, from my point of view, Shopify’s templates are more of unique designs, while BigCommerce’s themes look more like variants of each other. 

Pricing 

At a quick glance, Shopify and BigCommerce’s pricing plans can look fairly similar, which is divided into three types starting from $29, $79 and $299. Both also offer free trials. However, it should be noted that adding third party apps on Shopify can push up your monthly costs. 

On the other hand, with BigCommerce’s built-in features, you can reduce extra spending to a minimum. 

Both Shopify and BigCommerce provide an all-in-one solution for online merchants to quickly and simply build an online store. If you have time, you can do a free trial with these two platforms to have a better understanding about them. It is advisable to consider your business type and what features that you actually need before making the final decision. 

Hope this can help you! 

If issue solved, Click Kudos & Accept as Solution.
LitExtension - #1 Shopping Cart Migration Expert

Thank you for your reply!

I think Bigcommerce is a better solution here.

Abandoned Cart Saver and Persistent Cart is the feature missing in the standard plan of BigCommerce. That's a bummer.

Hi @AbhishekHFN,

As I know, Shopify offers you Abandoned Cart Recovery function in its Basic Shopify plan, which costs you $29/month. However, you might need to download a third party app in order to use Persistent Cart function in this platform.

So, have you made your decision yet?

Let me know if you need further assistance, I'll be happy to help you. 

If issue solved, Click Kudos & Accept as Solution.

Marcus | LitExtension Expert
Shopping Cart Migration Service