cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I trust the information provided on Wikipedia?

Should I trust the information provided on Wikipedia?

My younger brother is studying in business school. I often help him with his assignments and projects even though I know nothing about business and commerce! But hey, that’s when Google comes in handy. Whenever I am looking up something on the internet, I can’t help but notice that almost every topic is listed on Wikipedia. There are dedicated Wikipedia writers for hire for companies, events, objects and almost every topic of public interest. I often take out most of the required information for my brother’s homework from Wikipedia and well, it has never gone wrong. But still, sometimes I wonder if I should blindly trust this site like this or trust it at all.

Is all the information provided on Wikipedia authentic? Who makes sure that the content is up-to-date?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Should I trust the information provided on Wikipedia?

Wikipedia is a collaborative online encyclopedia that allows users to create, edit, and update articles on various topics. While it is a valuable source of information, it is important to approach the information provided on Wikipedia with a critical eye.

The reliability and accuracy of Wikipedia articles can vary greatly depending on the topic, the author, and the level of scrutiny they have undergone. Many Wikipedia articles are well-researched and written by experts in their fields, but others may contain errors, omissions, or biases.

To assess the accuracy and reliability of a Wikipedia article, you can look at the sources cited in the article, the history of edits, and the discussion page associated with the article. You can also compare the information provided on Wikipedia to information from other sources, such as scholarly articles, books, and reputable news sources.

Overall, while Wikipedia can be a valuable starting point for research, it should not be your only source of information. It is important to verify the accuracy and reliability of any information you find on Wikipedia before using it in your own work or decision-making.