cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the Best method to transfer/clone large MySQL databases to another server?

what is the Best method to transfer/clone large MySQL databases to another server?

Hi Guys,

I am working as SQL Server Developer, I am running a web application within a shared hosting environment which uses an MYSQL database which is about 3GB large.

For testing purposes, I have set up a XAMPP environment on my local macOS machine. To copy the online DB to my local machine I used mysqldump on the server and then directly imported the dump file to MySQL:

// Server
$ mysqldump -alv -h127.0.0.3 --default-character-set=utf8 -u dbUser -p'dbPass' --extended-insert dbName > dbDump.sql

// Local machine
$ mysql -h 127.0.0.3 -u dbUser -p'dbPass' dbName < dbDump.sql

The only optimization here is the use of extended-insert. However, the import takes about 10 hours!

The dumb file already includes commands to disable unique and foreign key checks to speed up the import:

/*!40014 SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS, FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 */;

I am not an SQL export and not sure if the /*!40014 commands are executed or not, so added SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0; manually to the file to make sure the checks are disabled. However, this does not make any difference.

Why does it take so much time to import the data? Is there a better/faster way to do this?

The server is not the fastest (shared hosting...) but it takes just about 2 minutes to export/dump the data. That exporting (no syntax checks, no parsing, just writing...) is faster than importing (parsing, syntax check, etc.) is not surprising but 300 times faster (10 hours vs. 2 minutes)? This is a huge difference...

Isn't there any other solution that would be faster? Copy the binary DB file instead, for example? Anything would be better than using a text file as a transfer medium.

This is not just about transferring the data to another machine for testing purposes. I also create daily backups of the database. If it would be necessary to restore the DB it would be pretty bad if the site is down for 10 hours...

Thanks & Regards

Camillelola

1 REPLY 1

Re: what is the Best method to transfer/clone large MySQL databases to another server?

Hi @camille_lola,

The link you've shared is about Sql Server, right?

In the past I've issued some problsm like that because some mysql's configurations that changed packets size on dump.

I don't remember the name of the variables right now but maybe you could explore that kind of things if your problem is the restore process of the mysql dump.