cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No css styles applied after implementing new child theme for Magento 2 ver 2.1.8 CE

No css styles applied after implementing new child theme for Magento 2 ver 2.1.8 CE

Hello, I created a child theme for my Magento ver 2.1.8 CE installation.  My store is in developer mode.  I have created the child theme as instructed in the theme's setup guide and I also used Magento theme docs.  In the backend of my store I selected the store, then I cleared cache and static files from the admin.  When I check the pub/static/frontend/Mgs/mgsblank_child/en_US directory, the css directory is missing.  When I navigate to the site to check the installed child theme, no styles are showing on the site.  When I check the head section of the site, I see the url paths of the css files in the pub/static directories, the url's even resolve to the css files, but the styles aren't implemented on the site.  Also when I ftp into the server, I do not see the css directory in the pub/static directory.

So I am doing something wrong with my setup.  Using other forums, I made sure I had an image file in the media/preview.jpg directory of the child theme, I even copied the web directory from the parent theme into the new child theme.  Since I was in developer mode, I cleared cache and static files from the admin panel and then reloaded my website.  After I saw that css files were not loading in the frontend, I then used php bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy, this didn't work.  

What am I doing wrong?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: No css styles applied after implementing new child theme for Magento 2 ver 2.1.8 CE

Hi,

Check if your theme is added theme in

dev/tools/grunt/configs/themes.js

Also try grunt:exec && grunt:less before deploying the content

Re: No css styles applied after implementing new child theme for Magento 2 ver 2.1.8 CE

Thank you Boorix for your reply.  I am new to magento so I will do my best to follow you.  You stated to check:

dev/tools/grunt/configs/themes.js

Also try grunt:exec && grunt:less before deploying the content

Can you elaborate on this procedure and what will be the end result?  I have not set up grunt and will have to read up on how to use it although I used gulp in the past.  Thanks!