cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Newsletter Subscribe button for registered users

Add Newsletter Subscribe button for registered users

I would like to add a "Subscribe to Newsletter" button to the home page which lets a registered user subscribe with one click, without having to enter their e-mail address again (since they already provided their e-mail address when they registered). How can I do this?

P.S. I am hiding Magento's standard Newsletter subscription box.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Add Newsletter Subscribe button for registered users

Something like this should get you started:

<?php if ( Mage::getSingleton('customer/session')->isLoggedIn()): ?>
	<input type="text" name="newsletter" value="<?php echo Mage::getSingleton('customer/session')->getCustomer()->getEmail() ?>" />
<?php endif; ?>

Thanks mrhambley!

I vaguely follow your code, but how do I work this into a button on the front end? Sorry, I am not well-versed in Magento programming and would appreciate your help!

Hi mrhambley, I tried to put this code in the header or footer.phtml, but if I do that, it breaks the site, and I get a "There has been an error processing your request" error... Can you tell me how i properly use this code? Thanks!

Actually I now was able to load the customer e-mail address in subscribe.phtml by changing

<input type="email" autocapitalize="off" autocorrect="off" spellcheck="false" name="email" id="newsletter" title="<?php echo Mage::helper('core')->quoteEscape($this->__('Sign up for our newsletter')) ?>" class="input-text required-entry validate-email"  />

to

<input type="email" autocapitalize="off" autocorrect="off" spellcheck="false" name="email" id="newsletter" value="<?php echo Mage::getSingleton('customer/session')->getCustomer()->getEmail() ?>" title="<?php echo Mage::helper('core')->quoteEscape($this->__('Sign up for our newsletter')) ?>" class="input-text required-entry validate-email hide-input-field"  />

also hiding the input field with an additional CSS class added at the end, so only the Subscribe button appears.

I then wrapped the entire subscribe.phtml in this

<?php endif; ?>

so the subscribe button only appears if the customer is logged in.

So that worked great, thanks for the pointer mrhambley!

However, now I would also like to hide the Subscribe button if the logged-in in customer is already subscribed.

If I check the code for the customer account dashboard which states whether the customer is subscribed or not, I see the code:

<?php if( $this->getIsSubscribed() ): ?>

If I put this right after the line that checks whether the customer is logged in in subscribe.phtml, it doesn't do anything, i.e. the Subscribe button still displays even if I am already subscribed. I also tried to change it to something like:

<?php if ( Mage::getSingleton('customer/session')->getCustomer()->getEmail()->getIsSubscribed() ): ?>

But that doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have the correct code?

Ok I found some code on Stackexchange that works. So now at the beginning of subscribe.phtml it says:

<?php
$customerSession = Mage::getSingleton("customer/session");
$email = $customerSession->getCustomer()->getEmail();
$subscriber = Mage::getModel('newsletter/subscriber')->loadByEmail($email);
    $status = $subscriber->isSubscribed(); // status = 1 if subscribed.
?>

<?php if ($status == 0): ?>

followed by all of the default subscribe.phtml code. Now the subscribe button is shown only if logged in and only if unsubscribed - BUT: after I subscribe, the Subscribe button does not disappear until I flush the cache in the Magento backend.

Do I need to clear some of the variables above once the customer clicks on the Subscribe button? How do I do that?

Does anybody have any idea?

Do I have the wrong approach in how I read the subscription status?

If go the the Account page and check/uncheck the subscription to the newsletter, it recognizes the change right away after I save it, but I can't figure out how...

Hello,

This issue is related to Magento Cache, please follow here: https://community.magento.com/t5/Programming-Questions/Refresh-user-newsletter-subscription-status/t...

Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!