cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change template of block with alias in extension

How to change template of block with alias in extension

I'm trying to change the template of a block to a template defined in my extension.

The layout file "Magento\Checkout\view\frontend\layout\checkout_cart_item_renderers.xml" has this piece of code:

<update handle="checkout_item_price_renderers"/>
    <body>
        <referenceBlock name="checkout.cart.item.renderers">
            <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer" as="default" template="cart/item/default.phtml">
                <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer\Actions" name="checkout.cart.item.renderers.default.actions" as="actions">
                    <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer\Actions\Edit" name="checkout.cart.item.renderers.default.actions.edit" template="Magento_Checkout::cart/item/renderer/actions/edit.phtml"/>
                    <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer\Actions\Remove" name="checkout.cart.item.renderers.default.actions.remove" template="Magento_Checkout::cart/item/renderer/actions/remove.phtml"/>
                </block>
            </block>
            <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer" as="simple" template="cart/item/default.phtml">
                <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer\Actions" name="checkout.cart.item.renderers.simple.actions" as="actions">
                    <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer\Actions\Edit" name="checkout.cart.item.renderers.simple.actions.edit" template="Magento_Checkout::cart/item/renderer/actions/edit.phtml"/>
                    <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer\Actions\Remove" name="checkout.cart.item.renderers.simple.actions.remove" template="Magento_Checkout::cart/item/renderer/actions/remove.phtml"/>
                </block>
            </block>
        </referenceBlock>
    </body>

I've copied the default.phtml to my extension and added a column, but how can I overwrite the template that is used?

For now I have this layout file defined in my extension.

<body>
         <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer" as="default" template="ORG_ShoppingCart::default.phtml"/>
         <block class="Magento\Checkout\Block\Cart\Item\Renderer" as="simple" template="ORG_ShoppingCart::default.phtml"/>
     </referenceBlock>
</body>

But than I get the error: "'The element 'checkout.cart.item.renderers' already has a child with alias 'default''".

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to change template of block with alias in extension

Hi @rklerck,

alias name can be anything. Change default to something else in your modle and then try it.

-----
Darshan, Solution Consultant
Problem solved? Click Accept as Solution!

the logic code is : 

<body>
 <referenceBlock name="default">
  <action method="setTemplate">
   <argument name="template" xsi:type="string">ORG_ShoppingCart::default.phtml</argument>
  </action>
 </referenceBlock>
 <referenceBlock name="simple">
   <argument name="template" xsi:type="string">ORG_ShoppingCart::default.phtml</argument>
  </action>
</referenceBlock>
</body>

I have tried this...but no luck

<page xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="urn:magento:framework:View/Layout/etc/page_configuration.xsd">
<body>
<referenceBlock name="default">
<argument name="template" xsi:type="string">Mymodule_Customshipping::cart/item/default.phtml</argument>
</action>
</referenceBlock>
<referenceBlock name="simple">
<argument name="template" xsi:type="string">Mymodule_Customshipping::cart/item/default.phtml</argument>
</action>
</referenceBlock>
</referenceBlock>
</body>
</page>

Try this.