cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aggregating fields by created_at datetime columns

SOLVED

Aggregating fields by created_at datetime columns

As a new user to Magento Cloud and Magento BI, I am attempting to convert a lot of queries for regular reports I would run directly on the database to BI SQL queries. I am having a lot of trouble with date aggregation functions. One example is this query which will give a breakdown of payment method by month.

SELECT extract(year from o.created_at) as "year", extract(month from o.created_at) as "month", p.method, sum(p.base_amount_paid) as "method_total", t.total as "total", sum(p.base_amount_paid)/t.total*100 as "method_percentage"
FROM sales_order o
LEFT JOIN sales_order_payment p  ON p.parent_id = o.entity_id
LEFT JOIN (
    SELECT extract(year from o.created_at) as "YEAR", extract(month from o.created_at) as "MONTH", sum(base_amount_paid) as "total" 
    FROM sales_order o
    INNER JOIN sales_order_payment p ON p.parent_id = o.entity_id 
    WHERE o.created_at > '2019-10-02'
    AND o.status = 'complete'
    GROUP BY extract(year from o.created_at), extract(month from o.created_at)
    LIMIT 100
    ) t on t."YEAR" = extract(year from o.created_at) AND t."MONTH" = extract(month from o.created_at)
WHERE created_at > '2019-10-02'
AND o.status = 'complete'
GROUP BY extract(year from o.created_at), extract(year from o.created_at), p.method
ORDER BY extract(year from o.created_at), extract(month from o.created_at) ASC
LIMIT 100

I think I have applied the necessary conversion of extract(year from .... etc from SQL to the Redshift syntax, but running this query I get the error:

ERROR: column "o.created_at" must appear in the GROUP BY clause or be used in an aggregate function LINE 1: ... from o.created_at) as "year", extract(month from o.created_... ^

Whilst this report may be able to be achieved an easier way or with the visual report builder, the concept and error is what I'm struggling with. A lot of the reporting that I need to run needs to be grouped into year and month (for monthly reporting). I've had similar issues with other queries.

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Aggregating fields by created_at datetime columns

Hello,

Quick question to start - I see in your group by at the end you're grouping by the extracted year twice, rather than year and then month. Does fixing that resolve the error?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello,

Quick question to start - I see in your group by at the end you're grouping by the extracted year twice, rather than year and then month. Does fixing that resolve the error?

Good pick up! I adjusted this, got another similar error that t.total must be used in an aggregate or group by function, so added it to the end of the group by and it produces results!