cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacking the SQL Report Builder

Hacking the SQL Report Builder

Do you have any questions about the SQL Report Builder, or about writing a particular query? Please reach out here, and we'll do our best to elaborate.

The SQL Report Builder is a powerful tool for drilling down into your customer- and order-level data. If you're a proficient SQL user, you'll be ecstatic with the idea of using query language to interact with your Magento data directly, and easily visualize the result.  

The SQLRB uses PostgreSQL syntax, and allows you to easily auto-select table and column names to populate your queries. You can see the results in action here. The SQLRB is most commonly used for complex joins between multiple database tables are necessary for an analysis, or when the use of a specialized function (PERCENTILE()? ROW_NUMBER()?) is necessary to use. 

Sal Calvo, Senior Analyst - Magento Analytics (http://www.rjmetrics.com)

Sal Calvo
Senior Analyst, Magento Analytics
www.rjmetrics.com
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hacking the SQL Report Builder

That's great, Sal!

As an aside, users often wonder what the best way to structure common queries is. Our senior engineer Ben Garvey recently discovered he had the same question – so he wrote this blog post to walk other users through common queries.  

What are some specialized use cases that you're using the SQLRB for?

Hello, 

I was wondering how much info you can get out of SQL Report Builder with MBI Essentials?  If for example we write additional product attribute information onto sales order items in Magento, will I then be able to report on these in the SQL Report Builder?  Or am I always limited to the tables and fields that come standard with MBI Essentials?

Thanks,
Vince

Hey Vince, 

When using the SQL report builder, you are limited to the available data tables tracked within your account. If you desire access to additional tables, an MBI Pro subscription would be required. 

Thanks,
Maya