cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add custom options to configurable products.

Add custom options to configurable products.

I have a product that comes in different sizes and colors. These are setup as configurable products with each variable being it's own product in Magento. That works fine. Now regardless of what color or size option they choose, I would like to add the ability for them to add a logo. 

I did this using "Custom Options" on the master (configurable) product. It shows fine and updates the price on the product detail page, but when I add it to the cart, the cart does NOT show the increased price. It works fine on simple products, just not on configurable products. 

Any ideas ? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Add custom options to configurable products.

You need do custom code for this. Generally when configurable product is added into the cart, price are defined based on that configurable options means that is simple product.

For customization, you can use Magento event observer.

I'm having the same problem, did you come up with a solution?

Custom options:

Custom options are easy to create since you do not require to maintain separate products as the individual variants. But this practice will only work for you if you have a small catalog or a Make to Order model. In case you have huge line up of products custom options would not be suitable as you will not be able to keep track of the inventory of the custom option variants.

Create custom options:

1. From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Manage Products.
  2. In the list, click to open the product record.
  3. In the Product Information panel on the left, select Custom Options.
  4. In the upper-right corner, click the Add New Option button. Then, complete the following fields:

For Configurable Product>>>

A Configurable product in Magento is a combination of simple products. Configurable Products are introduced to provide options to the eCommerce customers to choose and build their product. Since each variant is considered as a simple product in this practice, you can maintain the inventory separately for each variant.

Create custom options for Configurable products:

1. Considering the above scenario first you will have to create two Attributes.

i. From the Admin panel, select Catalog > Attributes> Manage Attributes

ii. In the Attribute record list page click on the “Add New Attribute button”

iii.  Provide the Attribute Code (name) as Color, select the Scope as “Global”, Input type as “Dropdown”, Apply to as “Selected Product Types” and select option Simple Product, Select “yes” for Creating Configurable product.

iv.   In the Product Information panel on the left, select Manage Label

Continue Reading>>>> How to Create Custom Options & Configurable Products in Magento ?